"Driving into school every morning and seeing a mini-city of medicine is just amazing.It's really crazy to see the cv's of many of the lecturers here and realize just how prominent they are in their fields."
Patient Variety and Volume at Outstanding Teaching Hospitals
Students also have the opportunity to complete clinical rotations in private practices at Baylor College of Medicine and throughout Houston as well as in community health centers around the city. Baylor’s affiliation with the Children’s Hospital of San Antonio offers additional elective opportunities outside of Houston.
Making the Grade
Coordinators of Core Clinical Clerkships and faculty that supervise Clinical Electives render a narrative summary concerning the quality of the students work at the conclusion of the course accompanied by a grade designation.
Narrative summaries are considered part of the student's permanent record. In clinical clerkships the principle guidelines used in evaluation include but are not limited to:
- Quality of student's work-ups of patients (history and physical examination, diagnosis, recommendations) and the student's presentations of findings
- Fund of knowledge: understanding the disease processes as demonstrated on rounds, in conferences and on oral examinations, written examinations, and National Board Subjects examinations)
- Analytical ability: The ability to appraise and integrate in a logical formulation a patients presenting problem with the physical findings and diagnostic information into a coherent assessment and treatment plan
- Acceptance and discharge of clinical responsibilities, professional maturity and conduct, initiative in the clinical environment and attendance
- Quality of interactions with patients and other members of the healthcare team
- Dress, cleanliness and general overall appearance deemed appropriate for a physician
Check out our pathways, specialized tracks that span the four years of medical school and include both classroom, clinical and/or research activities in the specific areas of interest.