The Harris Health System Healthcare for the Homeless program is an outreach entity of the Harris Health System's Community Health Program. In existence for over 35 years, it is one of the largest homeless programs in the nation, providing healthcare to homeless individuals in 10 homeless shelters clinics. Our mobile health unit provides health care to day centers and areas of congregation within Harris County. Recently the program was accredited by DNV, a mark of distinction shared by very few other homeless programs.
The healthcare team provides a continuum of care with multiple points of entry, which enhances the ability of homeless individuals to access care. The team also focuses on the voluntary nature of engaging these individuals into health promotion and prevention activities, and healthcare management at sites where they congregate for other services (food, clothing, shelters and social contacts). We provide on-site medical care, mental health counseling and eligibility assistance, dental care, and patient education on chronic health conditions and preventive health measures, including healthy eating.
The Healthcare for the Homeless Program serves to improve the health status of the homeless population of the city of Houston and Harris County by:
- Encouraging and enabling access to new and existing healthcare, dental services, mental health and substance abuse facilities
- Enhancing communication and collaboration among agencies that serve homeless individuals
Services We Provide
We bring comprehensive healthcare services to the homeless, and with the Homeless Health Council, we are committed to minimizing barriers to healthcare for homeless individuals in our county and city.
- Medical care for minor episodic acute health need and management of chronic conditions at all shelter clinics
- Immunization for children and adults
- Mental health counseling and treatment (We are part of Health Disparities Collaborative on Depression.)
- Substance abuse counseling and treatment
- Harris Health System eligibility registration (Gold Card)
- Transportation assistance to and from different health centers/providers
- Medical outreach services for children and adults through our Medical Mobile Outreach Van
- Dental care services done by our new Mobile Dental Unit