Standards and Policies Governing Professional and Ethical Conduct
All members of the Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) community are expected to adhere to the highest standards of professional and ethical behavior. The BCM School of Medicine Technical Standards establish certain behavioral and social attributes, as well as ethical standards and professionalism expectations for all medical students. Students must exercise good judgment and exhibit professionalism, personal accountability, compassion, integrity, concern for others, the ability to accept and apply feedback and to respect boundaries and care for all individuals in a respectfully regardless of gender identity, age, race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or any other protected status. Students must understand and function within the legal and ethical framework of the practice of medicine and act morally, commensurate with the role of a physician in all interactions with patients, faculty, staff, fellow students, and the public.
In addition to the School of Medicine Technical Standards, several other policies govern the behavior of BCM community members, including medical students, such as:
- Respectful & Professional Learning Environment Policy
- Standards for Student Conduct and College Oversight (23.2.01 – login required)
- Code of Conduct
- Compact Between Teachers, Learners and Educational Staff
- Social Media Policy (login required)
- Policy Regarding Harassment, Discrimination and Retaliation (login required)
- Sexual Misconduct and Other Prohibited Conduct Policy (login required).
These policies, along with the School of Medicine Honor Code, establish the types of attitudes and behaviors expected of students pursing the Doctor of Medicine degree.