Off Script: Stories from the Heart of Medicine
Prompt: Achieving expertise in any area of life involves seasons of waiting, sprouting, and blossoming. Like a healthy plant, an expert needs time to take root and grow through careful cultivation. Along the way are sweat, tears, and many small victories. Tell a story about someone who became (or hopes to become) seasoned. That someone can be you. What do they learn on the path to proficiency? The setting can be clinical or far from health care. The story may be true, fiction, or some mix of both. Pack your story with engaging characters, realistic dialogue, and vivid scenes. Give us dramatic action! Don’t simply state what happens. Instead, show us how events unfold.
- Your story should be 800 – 1,000 words
- Submissions are due Feb. 26
- We will inform you of your selection status by March 3
- Workshops are scheduled for March 13 and 14 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- A rehearsal for selected pieces is planned for March 30, between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m.
- The event will be held April 6 at The Health Museum of Houston