Baylor College of Medicine History and Mission
History: Baylor College of Medicine, a private medical school, was charted by the State of Texas in 1900 and organized as the University of Dallas Medical Department, an independent, nonsectarian institution. In 1903, it became affiliated with Baylor University in Waco as Baylor University School of Medicine. The College moved to Houston in 1943 and became the nucleus of the Texas Medical Center. Baylor College of Medicine separated from Baylor University in 1969 and became an independent corporation.
Mission: Baylor College of Medicine is a health sciences university that creates and applies science and discoveries to further education, healthcare and community service locally and globally.