"Having access to all the resources in the Texas Medical Center allowed me to pursue a research route I didn't expect. It has put me on a path to pursuing research further than I ever expected and I'm hoping to get published within the year." - Erica Ling, O & P Student
Baylor O & P residents collaborate on research projects with a variety of investigators, enterprises, and institutions including the Baylor College of Medicine's departments of neuroscience and physical medicine and rehabilitation, the University of Houston, TWU School of Physical Therapy, TIRR Memorial Hermann, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center A, USA Paralympics, NASA, Ottobock, and Rice University.
Faculty Research Areas
Jared Howell, M.S., C.P.O., L.P.O.
Focus: Product Development, Innovative Manufacturing Techniques, Global O&P Care and Program Development, Lower limb Prosthetics, Research and Training of Paralympic Athletes
- Comparison of muscle activations in elite sprinters and Paralympic athletes
- Effect of prosthetic length change on kinetic and kinematic factors of elite sprinters with bilateral amputations
- Needs analysis of prosthetic and orthotic care in Sri Lanka and other low and middle income countries
- Advancement of prosthetic and orthotic care globally (emphasis in leveraging education, technology, materials, and innovative manufacturing processes)
- Testing Safety and Feasibility of 3D printed prosthetic sockets for use in adult and pediatric population (Clinical Trial)
- 3D scanning and printing medical devices in resource limited environments
- Knowledge and perceptions of Osseointegration in patients and practitioners
Ashley Mullen, M.S.A.T., C.P.O., L.P.O.
Focus: Clinical education, entrustment, lower limb orthotics, and inter-professional development
Joshua Utay, M.Ed., C.P.O., L.P.O.
Focus: Psychosocial factors of disability and limb loss; International O & P Practices and Education; History and Development of O & P
- Quantifying Prevalence and Qualifying Severity of Depression, Substance Abuse, Body Image Disturbance, Resilience, and PTSD Among Lower Limb Amputees
- Development and Efficacy of Patient Education Video to Achieve Therapeutic Use of TLSO for Adolescents with Scoliosis
- Development of an Online Application Assisting Physicians in Deriving Detailed Spinal Orthotic Prescriptions
Sally Dibello, M.P.O., C.P.O., L.O.
Focus: Lower limb orthotics, Biomechanics, Clinical Gait Analysis
- The Role of the Orthotist in Multidisciplinary Healthcare Teams
- Comparison of Ankle Angle Measurement Methods for AFOs
Fanny Schultea, M.S., M.S.Ed., C.P.O., L.P.
Focus: Upper limb prosthetics, outcomes measurement and clinical standards
- Differences in dual site and pattern recognition myoelectric control in unilateral transradial and wrist disarticulation amputees
- Societal perception of different cosmetic coverings and hand function of upper limb prostheses
- Impact of the provision of activity/sport specific prostheses on the quality of life of upper limb amputees