- Fu awarded for macular degeneration research
Dr. Yingbin Fu, associate professor and the Sarah Campbell Blaffer Endowed Chair in ophthalmology, has earned the 2018 Helen Juanita Reed Award for Macular Degeneration from the BrightFocus Foundation. Fu's lab studies the biological mechanisms underlying various types of neurodegeneration and aging. The award will be presented at the Association for Vision and Ophthalmology annual conference held in April in Honolulu.
- Lewis awarded the 2018 Marshall Parks Bronze Medal
Dr. Richard Lewis, professor of molecular and human genetics, ophthalmology, pediatrics and medicine, was awarded the 2018 Marshall Parks Bronze Medal from the American Association of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus at its 44th Annual Meeting in Washington D.C. Lewis is the first non-pediatric ophthalmologist to be honored. He was recognized as the major intellectual force in applying molecular technologies to inherited ocular disorders especially afflicting infants, children and adolescents. He has authored more than 520 publications and holds 10 U.S. patents.
- Stout honored by eye institute
Dr. Timothy Stout, chair and professor of ophthalmology, was honored as the 2018 Distinguished Alumnus at the Doheny Eye Institute Society of Scholars annual alumni dinner on Jan. 6 in Los Angeles in recognition of his contributions to research, education and patient care. The dinner was part of the Doheny Society of Scholars and UCLA Ophthalmology Clinical Challenges Conference.
- New gene therapy shows promise in reversing vision loss or blindness in patients with rare diseaseApr 16, 2018
- A new FDA-approved gene therapy treatment for patients with an inherited form of vision loss is now available at Baylor College of Medicine.
- Knights Templar Eye Foundation gives $2M for endowed chairJan 5, 2018
- The Knights Templar Eye Foundation gifts Baylor College of Medicine $2 million to create the Knights Templar Eye Foundation Presidential Chair in Ophthalmology.
- Expert offers tips on protecting your eyes from fireworksDec 27, 2017
- Dr. Sumitra Khandelwal offers tips on how to protect your eyes from injury while using fireworks.
- Think twice before buying Halloween contactsOct 3, 2017
- Dr. Christina Weng warns of danger from using novelty contacts for Halloween costumes and discusses the damage they can do to the eye.
- Contact lens care after swimming in floodwaters Sep 7, 2017
- Dr. Stephen Pflugfelder has advice for contact lens wearers on how to properly care for their eyes after being exposed to floodwaters brought in by Hurricane Harvey.
- Experience the solar eclipse with proper eye protectionAug 9, 2017
- Dr. Christina Weng says when viewing the solar eclipse, it is important to wear proper eye protection to prevent damage to the eye, especially the retina.
- Signs your child may need glasses Jul 27, 2017
- Dr. Christina Weng says noticing signs of vision loss is especially significant in young children.
- Preventing eye fatigue on long road trips Jul 12, 2017
- Dr. Zaina Al-Mohtaseb gives insight on ways to prevent eye fatigue and get safely through road trips.
- Sunglasses with UVAB protection key to eye careMay 24, 2017
- Dr. Sumitra Khandelwal says wearing sunglasses is the best way to protect the eyes from strong UV rays, and the bigger, the better.
- Grant will support new therapy for inflammatory eye diseaseMar 16, 2017
- Dr. Robert Britton, professor of molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine, was awarded the Stein Innovation Award from the Research to Prevent Blindness organization.