All applications must be submitted through the SFMatch Residency Match Service. Paper applications are not accepted. The application deadline is Sept. 30.
Ophthalmology is fortunate to attract extremely bright and successful applicants. Unfortunately, there is no single formula or system that effectively predicts who will be an outstanding resident in our field. Therefore, we take a holistic approach to application review and the offering of interview invitations. The factors we consider include:
- Medical school grades
- Medical School Performance Evaluation (MSPE – aka the “Dean’s Letter”)
- USMLE Step 1 score (Step 2 is not necessary/expected, but may be helpful if the applicant wishes to demonstrate improvement following Step 1 performance)
- Undergraduate/Graduate school experience
Letters of Recommendation (Three Required)
- Two Letters from ophthalmologists are recommended (It is not required that all three be from ophthalmology-related mentors)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society membership (if offered at the applicant’s medical school)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society membership
- Other awards and honors
- Research experience, including publications & presentations
- Personal statement
- Service experience (e.g. volunteer work, advocacy, etc.)
- Work experience & employment history
- Outside interests
We welcome and encourage all who are interested to apply to our program. Our recruitment team carefully evaluates all completed applications for consideration of interview offers.
Due to the pandemic, all interviews will be virtual this year. For up-to-date information on how Baylor College of Medicine is responding to the pandemic, visit our Coronavirus website.
Benefits and Stipends
See stipends and benefit information on the Baylor College of Medicine’s graduate medical education website. Stipend levels are at the national average, but Houston's cost of living ranks among the lowest of metropolitan areas in the United States.
Maintaining your physical and emotional wellness is a prerequisite to professional success. Our residents have access to a number of programs to support their well-being. View wellness resources.
Information about vacation and leave of absences is available on the graduate medical education website.