About the Scholarship
Baylor College of Medicine has a long-standing history of promoting and supporting diversity in its training of the next generation of physicians. In the Henry J.N. Taub Department of Emergency Medicine, we believe that this commitment to diversity both strengthens our community and ensures the delivery of the highest quality patient care. Medical student rotations in our department, provide a rich experience with a diverse patient population that challenges and strengthens diagnostic skills. With our recognition as a level one trauma center, you will gain experience managing the blunt and penetrating traumatic injuries. You will also be able to work with those experiencing complex medical and psychiatric emergencies. Your primary rotation site will be at Ben Taub Emergency Center, Harris County’s publicly funded hospital. You will also rotate at Baylor St. Luke’s Medicine Center, a tertiary care center with a high level of acuity.
To promote a diverse and engaged workforce, the Henry J.N. Taub Department of Emergency Medicine is proud to offer two $1,500 scholarships for those who demonstrate a commitment to health equity, community service, and leadership. All visiting students are welcome to apply. The scholarships may be used for travel, housing, and incidental expenses related to the month-long rotation. The stipend will be provided following successful completion of the rotation. Students will be responsible for their own housing and travel arrangements.
- Rising fourth-year medical students in good standing at accredited US medical schools and eligible to participate in VSLO
- Must be eligible for rotation at BCM as a visiting student
- Students must have successfully passed USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX 1
- Must directly apply via VSLO to the BCM 4 week elective and be accepted prior to applying for scholarship support
- A complete VSLO/VSAS Application with all institutional requirements
- A complete URiM Visiting Student Scholarship Application
- Complete three essays(no greater than 500 words each)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Medical school transcript
The deadline for the scholarship application is May 30, 2023. Applications will not be considered until VSLO/VSAS application has been completed and accepted for a visiting rotation. Application decision deadline will be made within 4-weeks from application deadline.
Please forward all questions about the scholarship to Ms. Laura Perry Olilo at email@example.com.