About the Scholarship
Baylor College of Medicine has a long-standing history of promoting and supporting diversity in its training of the next generation of physicians. In the Henry J.N. Taub Department of Emergency Medicine, we believe that this commitment to diversity both strengthens our community and ensures the delivery of the highest quality patient care. Medical student rotations in our department, provide a rich experience with a diverse patient population that challenges and strengthens diagnostic skills. With our recognition as a level one trauma center, you will gain experience managing the blunt and penetrating traumatic injuries.
To help promote those who are Underrepresented in Medicine (URiM), the Henry J.N. Taub Department of Emergency Medicine is proud to offer four $1,500 scholarships for those whose background are underrepresented in medicine. Additionally, our BCM EM Residency 2021 Black Alumni and 2021 Latinx Alumni are sponsoring two scholarships. The scholarships may be used for travel, housing, and incidental expenses related to the month long sub-internship. The stipend will be provided following successful completion of the rotation. Students will be responsible for their own housing and travel arrangements.
- Student must be in good standing in medical school
- Student must be pursuing a degree at an LCME-accredited medical school
- Student must come from a background that is underrepresented in medicine, which is defined as the following
- Race/Ethnicity: Black or African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American (American Indian, Alaskan Native and Native Hawaiian), and Pacific Islander
- Identifies as a member of LGBTQ+ community
- A complete VSLO/VSAS Application with all institutional requirements
- A complete URiM Visiting Student Scholarship Application
- Submit a letter of intent telling us a bit about yourself, your career plans, and why you qualify for this scholarship, no greater than 500 words
- Curriculum Vitae
- Medical school transcript
The deadline for the scholarship application is April 30, 2022. Applications will not be considered until both VSLO/VSAS and URiM Visiting Student Scholarships have been submitted.