The Henry J. N. Taub Department of Emergency Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine is calling for applications for our Health Policy & Advocacy Fellowship beginning in July of the 2021-2022 academic year.
We offer a one-year option.
The fellow will work clinically as an emergency medicine attending at both Ben Taub General Hospital and Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center, two diverse high-volume, high-acuity emergency departments in Houston, Texas.
The fellowship objectives will be tailored to meet the fellow’s professional goals while providing broad exposure to health policy issues relevant to Houston, the state of Texas, and the nation.
The fellowship provides advanced education in health policy through hands-on experiential learning and didactic educational opportunities.
- Journal clubs
- Seminars with Texas policy makers
- Personalized didactic curriculum from faculty in the Division of Health Policy & Advocacy
The fellow assumes a leadership role in emergency medicine education within the emergency department and residency program.
- Lectures to the residency on basic health policy topics
- Teaching assistant for MEERM-628 Elective “Health Policy Journal Club”
The fellow is expected to complete one publishable original research project during his/her fellowship.
The fellow will be an active participant with the Texas College of Emergency Physicians throughout the fellowship and will also be encouraged to become involved with the Texas Medical Association, Harris County Medical Society, and national ACEP.
- Will be a TCEP Legislative and Advocacy Fellow
- Will have an experience in Texas policymaking during years the Texas legislature is in session (odd years)
- Will gain experience with federal policymaking during years in which the Texas legislature is out of session (even years)
- 20 hours per week as an attending physician in the ED
- Appointment at Baylor College of Medicine as clinical instructor
Final submission deadline for applications is Nov. 1, 2020. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Interviews will be conducted virtually for this application cycle.