The Baylor College of Medicine/Ben Taub Hospital Emergency Medicine Health Policy & Advocacy Fellowship is currently accepting applications for our two-year fellowship program*. Ben Taub Hospital is a high acuity, urban hospital that is one of only two Level 1 trauma centers in Houston’s Texas Medical Center, the world’s largest medical center.
Affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine and the Baylor Emergency Medicine Residency, this environment provides care for a diverse underserved population leading to superb clinical training and opportunities to advocate for the most vulnerable in our society. The fellowship objectives are tailored to meet the fellow’s professional goals while providing broad exposure to health policy issues relevant to Houston, the state of Texas, and the nation.
*A one-year fellowship option is available for individuals who already possess an advanced degree in public health or public policy.
The fellowship provides advanced education in health policy through hands-on experiential learning and didactic educational opportunities.
- Monthly journal clubs
- Monthly seminars with Texas policy makers
- Personalized didactic curriculum from faculty in the Division of Health Policy
- Pursuit of a formal advanced degree in public health, health leadership, or health administration during the two-year program
The fellow assumes a leadership role in emergency medicine education within the emergency department and residency program.
- Lectures to the residency on basic health policy topics
- Leading events with health policy medical student interest group
The fellow is expected to complete one publishable original research project during his/her fellowship.
The fellow will be an active participant with the Texas College of Emergency Physicians throughout the fellowship and will also be encouraged to become involved with the Texas Medical Association, Harris County Medical Society, and national ACEP.
- Will be a TCEP Legislative and Advocacy Fellow
- Will have an experience in Texas policymaking during years the Texas legislature is in session (odd years)
- Will gain experience with federal policymaking during years in which the Texas legislature is out of session (even years)
- 20 hours per week as an attending physician in the ED
- Appointment at Baylor College of Medicine as clinical instructor, Department of Emergency Medicine