IMSD program trainees volunteering as a group at the Houston Foodbank.
IMSD trainees take turns hitting a piñata at one of our program events.
Programs and events that support IMSD student success and community.
- National Research Mentoring Network – NRMN-trained facilitators lead mentee training workshops on barriers to effective communication, sticky situations, and coping efficacy for IMSD trainees
- IMSD Interest Groups
- Peer Mentoring – mentoring from upper-level UR graduate students organized by Association for Graduate Student Diversity
- Academic Preparation – summer molecular and cellular biology refresher course and tutoring for graduate program-specific courses from upper-level graduate students
- Scientific Writing Workshop and Fellowship Application Support – interactive writing short course and one-on-one consultations for fellowship application (National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program; National Research Service Award to Promote Diversity in Health Related Research)
- IMSD Lunch and Learn – (One-Two per term, starting in August)
- IMSD Holiday Party – November
- IMSD-sponsored Speakers – One-Two per year
- Participate in Community outreach activities – Saturday Morning Science workshops and activities for UR middle and high school students, and the Institutional initiative Baylor COATS for Excellence and Equity
- IMSD Science Ambassador Program – IMSD volunteers discuss graduate school experiences and/or present their research to undergraduates
- Travel to a Scientific Meeting – within the first three years of matriculation (IMSD grant-funded students only)