Dr. Sidney Baron Hardy attended The University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston in 1932 and then interned and completed his general surgery residency at Jefferson Davis Hospital in Houston. After finding his interest was in plastic surgery, he attended Jerome Webster’s residency at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York before joining the US Navy as a plastic surgeon for two years. After the Navy, Dr. Hardy went into private practice with Dr. L.D.H Kirkham, a founding member of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Following Kirkham’s untimely passing, Dr. Hardy was asked by Dr. Michael E. DeBakey to create a division of plastic surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. In 1952, he and Dr. Tom Cronin, another plastic surgeon in Houston, trained their first plastic surgery resident, Dr. Ralph Millard, who went on to serve at the University of Miami for over 30 years and gain worldwide influence. Dr. Hardy eventually served as associate dean of Baylor College of Medicine and became professor emeritus of Plastic Surgery in 1976. He retired in 1986 but continued to see patients until he died in 1990.
Sidney Baron Hardy, M.D.
Courtesy of Baylor College of Medicine Archives