Due to our location in the Texas Medical Center, residents have access to many research opportunities, from translational work to clinical studies. Starting in intern year, faculty advisors help residents to identify and connect with research mentors in their area of interest. This personal approach to forming research connections allows for fruitful and enduring collaborations.
During the PGY2 and PGY3 year, residents may opt to do a one-month clinical research in which they dedicate time to collect data, analyze results, and prepare abstracts and submissions.
Our residents present their research at regional, national, and international conferences, publish in peer-reviewed journals, and make lifelong connections with colleagues in their field of interest. The program supports conference travel with funding available to each resident. In the 2022-2023 academic year, some of the conferences residents presented at were:
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Heart Association
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Physicians
- The Liver Meeting
- Gerontology Society
- American Society of Hematology
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- Osteoarthritis Research Society International
- Society of Hospital Medicine
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- American Thoracic Society
- American Society of Clinical Oncology