Vice Chair for Education, Richard J. Hamill, M.D.
Vice-Chair for Education Group Members
Richard J. Hamill, M.D. – Vice-Chair for Education
Anoop Agrawal, M.D. – Medicine/Pediatrics Program Director
Chirayu Shah, M.D. – Associate Program Director
Wilson Lam, M.D. – Associate Program Director
Stacey Rose, M.D. – Associate Program Director
Zaven Sargsyan, M.D. – Associate Program Director
Stephanie Sherman, M.D. – Associate Program Director
Erica Lescinskas, M.D. – Associate Program Director
Andrew Caruso, M.D. – Core Clerkship Director
Frene LaCour-Chestnut, M.D. – Associate Core Clerkship Director
Joni D. Owens – Program Coordinator
The key, first goals for the Vice Chair Group for Education are as follows:
Strategic Plan #1
Goal: Develop a curriculum for faculty development related to medical student/resident/fellow education.
- Establish a faculty development workshop series
- Peer observation/evaluation of teaching efforts
- Increase frequency & faculty participation
- Develop a robust evidence-based medicine curriculum
- Encourage formal training in educational philosophy/techniques
Strategic Plan #2
Goal: Encourage increased participation in the Department of Medicine Grand Rounds.
- Develop process for obtaining ABIM Maintenance of Certification points for participation in Department of Medicine Grand Rounds
- Improve quality of presentations
- Increase off-site access to DoM Grand Rounds
- Incorporate attendance in annual faculty evaluation/bonus process
- Streamline and improve communications/announcements regarding Grand Rounds
Strategic Plan #3
Goal: Promote trainee well-being by continuing to develop & enhance the BCM IM Resident Wellness Program, and by expanding its access to medical students, fellows & DoM faculty.
- Invite national authorities for Grand Rounds and/or workshops
- Increase number and participation in wellness events
- Improve debriefing following traumatic patient events
- Develop training for faculty on ways to identify burnout & support residents
- Improve counseling service access Improve communication to trainees of wellness resources
Strategic Plan #4
Goal: Develop a transparent administrative process for underperforming residents and faculty.
- Set parameters that initiate a remediation plan for underperforming residents
- Identify responsible individuals to provide counseling
- Develop a standardized format in writing to provide a remediation plan
- Require feedback on remediation session and deadlines that are strictly adhered to
- Develop a resource database of remediation resources
Strategic Plan #5
Goal #1 – Improve research opportunities for internal medicine residents & fellows.
- Establish a research advisory committee for residents & fellows
- Develop/update database of research projects
- Publicize Fundamentals of Clinical Investigation Course to encourage resident/fellow participation
- Work with Vice-Chair Group for Research to establish a research support infrastructure
- Improved funding for conference travel & presentation
Goal #2 – Develop a more robust physician scientist (e.g., MeRIT) training program.
- Establish a MeRIT Program advisory committee
- Designate an Associate Program Director with 0.1 protected time for this role
- Develop a formal curriculum for MeRIT scholars in conjunction with other physician scientist training programs
- Establish a database of funded research mentors
- Establish a formal recruitment & interview process for MeRIT candidates