In the News
Center faculty are frequently contacted by national media seeking clarification and reaction to provocative stories capturing national public attention.
Amy McGuire, J.D, Ph.D., provided a TEDMED talk in September 2014 entitled "There is no Genome for the Human Spirit". The video is now available where she provides a cautionary framework for genomic sequencing that takes into account personal, social and policy consequences.
Special Issue of the Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics on Next Generation Sequencing
The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics has just released a special policy issue edited by researchers from the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy at Baylor College of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Duke University, and the Center for Medical Technology Policy. The research team led by Center Director, Dr. Amy McGuire, J.D., Ph.D., addresses a wide range of policy topics regarding the clinical integration of next generation sequencing including FDA regulation, intellectual property issues, legal challenges and questions, and proprietary databases.
Read the full press release.
Dr. Blumenthal-Barby Blogs on Bioethics.net
In this post, "The Philosophical Failing of Bioethics" Dr. Blumenthal-Barby discusses the recent article by Julian Savulescu arguing that medical ethics is in need of more and better philosophy.
Center Faculty Recently Featured in the News
- Dr. Laurence McCullough speaks to Houston Public Media on the complex ethical issues involving the separation of conjoined twins at Texas Children's Hospital.
- Dr. Blumenthal-Barby, Ph.D. blogs on "The Importance of the Collective Afterlife for Human Values: The Collective Afterlife and the 'Afterlife Conjecture'"
- Dr. Blumenthal-Barby, Ph.D. blogs on "Is Partiality Justified? How/Why?"
- Dr. Blumenthal-Barby, Ph.D., was recently interviewed by the Los Angeles Times about the ethical implications of using an experimental Ebola drug for the two American aid workers.
- Where health policy, medicine and ethics meet.
- Dr. Blumenthal-Barby, Ph.D. blogs on the ethics of Ebola and scarce and experimental drugs.
- Dr. Amy McGuire’s TEDMED 2014 Presentation
- Bioethics on Stage - Fierce medical ethics debate hits the stage: When doctors and lawyers become actors, the issues are real
- KHOU interviews Dr. Amy McGuire on: What is Genome Sequencing and Could it Possibly Change Your Life?
- Dr. McGuire interviewed by VIICTR about the center's Research Ethics Consultation Service
- Dr. Blumenthal-Barby Blogs: "How Old Are you? Philosophy of Age and its Relevance for Bioethics"
- Dr. Amy McGuire interviewed by TMC Pulse Magazine
- Dr. McGuire participates in a TedMed panel titled TEDMED Great Challenges: Genomics and Medicine: Where promise meets clinical practice.
- Dr. Laurence McCullough was recently interviewed by USA Today regarding several recent national cases involving complex end of life issues involving determination of death.
- Dr. Amy McGuire on: Are designer babies in our future?
- Dr. Jennifer Blumenthal-Barby on: Should we be paid to share our personal genetic information?
- Dr. Nathan Allen on: Can physicians be forced to perform invasive procedures against a patient's wishes?
- NIH Program Explores the Use of Genomic Sequencing in Newborn Healthcare
- Dr. Blumenthal-Barby to lead PCORI Research Project