Pathology and Biobanking Core
- George Miles, M.D., Ph.D., Core Director
- Carolina Gutierrez, M.D., Core Co-Director
The Pathology and Biobanking Core will provide the following services to projects and integration with other cores in this proposal:
- A centralized resource to acquire, store, and utilize human biospecimens for cancer research
- To coordinate and manage the pathology activities of this SPORE project, and ensure that Project Investigators have ready access to specialized pathology expertise and interpretation
- To design and validate biomarker-based tests (genomic and/or proteomic) that support all project stages, including clinically-validated and reported assays for SPORE-based clinical trials
This core seeks to improve the lives of breast cancer patients by facilitating novel translational biomarker discovery into the development and validation of clinical assays. This core serves as a centralized repository for biospecimen acquisition and use, management of the histopathology activities of each SPORE project, and the development and validation of biomarker-based molecular testing that supports all stages of SPORE project development.
Informatics and Statistics Core
- Susan Hilsenbeck, PhD, Core Director
- Bing Zhang, PhD, Co-Core Director
The Informatics and Statistics Core will provide three broad types of services:
- Comprehensive biostatistical consultation, experimental design, data analysis and reporting
- Integrative proteome-genomic bioinformatic consultation, experimental design, data analysis and reporting
- Development, customization, integration, and maintenance of databases and data management systems to support data management needs of SPORE projects and cores.
As a by-product, when necessary, the core can also develop new methods or adapt existing methods from other arenas to meet the unique needs of the SPORE.
- Matthew J. Ellis, MB, BChir, BSc., PhD, FRCP, Core Director
- Eric Chang, PhD, Core Co-director
The Administrative Core is charged with facilitating communication and sustaining integration among the SPORE members and projects, as well as providing efficient support services for all of the SPORE components, in order to maximize synergy in achieving our translational research goals.