The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio opened in 1959 as the region’s first hospital solely dedicated to the care of children. Early advances in medicine at the Children’s Hospital included a dedicated children’s dental clinic, a three-story surgical tower, and a specialized medical unit for orthopedic patients.
In February 2013, the Children’s Hospital of San Antonio finalized agreements with Baylor College of Medicine to recruit, employ, and oversee physicians and Texas Children's Hospital to provide consulting and clinical expertise for the Children’s Hospital of San Antonio.
Formal undergraduate and graduate medical education began taking place here since the early 1960s and has continued without interruption. In March, 2014, the Baylor San Antonio Pediatrics Residency Program received accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
For more than 50 years, the Children’s Hospital has developed and grown services that meet specific needs in the community – and will continue to do so well into the future.
As the nation’s seventh-largest city, San Antonio’s pediatric population is growing and has increased by more than 18 percent since 2000. In addition, this population is projected to grow by more than 30 percent over the next 20 years.
The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio will be the focal point for a network of pediatric services through the community. There will also be outpatient facilities and clinics throughout the region. Releasing the burden from taxpayers, the not-for-profit system will continue to serve the traditionally low-profit, high touch needs of the pediatric population, and Children’s Hospital of San Antonio will remain true to its original vision of unswerving commitment to the care of all children.
Visit the Children's Hospital online to learn more about the Hospital and plans for its future.