About the Lab
The Functional and Cognitive Neurophysiology laboratory, led by Dr. Sameer Sheth, focuses on the study of human decision-making and cognition, as well as on the development of novel therapies for neuropsychiatric disorders. To accomplish these goals, we take a two-fold approach.
First, we work with neurosurgical patients undergoing deep brain stimulation (DBS), epilepsy monitoring, and other procedures that require the placement of intracranial electrodes. We use single-neuron and field potential recordings as well as stimulation to understand the circuitry underlying complex cognitive functions such as controlled decision-making, memory formation, and emotional regulation.
Second, we develop and refine neuromodulatory treatments for refractory neurological and psychiatric disorders such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), depression, and many others. These disorders often arise from dysfunction in the same circuits mentioned above.
Thus the two efforts advance synergistically, with a constant back-and-forth flow of ideas. Because of the multi-disciplinary nature of this work, the lab interacts closely with many other disciplines, including Neuroscience, Psychiatry, Neurology, Computational Science, Engineering, and others.
- Individualized Intracranial Recording and Stimulation
- Investigating the Neural Mechanisms Underlying Ad-Hoc Self-Programmability
- Investigating the Physiology of Controlled Decision-Making in Human Prefrontal Cortex
- Investigating Cortical and Basal Ganglia Networks Involved in Disorders of Mental Health
- Developing Novel Targets and Indications for Neuromodulation
News and Events
- CNS & JCNS International Webinar Series: Functional/ Epilepsy (CNS login required)
- WFMZ 69News Interview with Sameer Sheth, M.D., Ph.D., on DBS for Parkinson’s – May 2020
- Our Initial Experience with DBS Technology Incorporating Directional Stimulation and Independent Current Control – February 2019
- Fox 26 Interview with Sameer Sheth, M.D., Ph.D., on Neurosurgery for Severe OCD – August 2018
- Patient Story: How Rudy Regained Control After Parkinson’s Diagnosis
- Interview with Sameer Sheth, M.D., Ph.D., and Jay Gavvala, MD: Exploring Advances in Epilepsy Treatment – June 2018
- Dr. Sameer Sheth named new McNair Scholar - February 2018
- BRAIN Grant Funds Study of Neurocircuitry of Depression – February 2018