Advanced technology and magnetic resonance compatible peripheral equipment allow researchers to study delicate neurological systems.
Project Support and Technology
The Core for Advanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging (CAMRI) is to supports biomedical research projects that use MRI to further our understanding of anatomy, function and physiology. The core offers MRI technologies to the Houston and surrounding research communities. We educate and train the community on the use of these technologies and support the efficient use of the core's resources.
Siemens MRI Scanners - 3 Tesla
- Scanner 3T-4 is a 64-channel system (Prisma Fit) with 20-Ch and 64-Channel head coils
- Scanner 3T-5 is a 32-channel system with 12-Ch and 32-Ch head coils
- CP Head Coil, Body Matrix Coil, 15-channel knee coil, and spine coils are available on some scanners
- Full neurological scanning software including BOLD, DTI and MRS (VB17 and E11b software versions)
- Siemens Master Research Agreement in place with generalized brain-imaging research addendum
- C2P collaboration agreements in place with UMinn, MGH, CMRR and UCLA to provide access to multiband and pCASL WIP sequences
- Spiral fMRI sequences developed in collaboration between Siemens and the PI
- Dual-network cards to facilitate real-time fMRI
Stimulation and Response Equipment
- Behavioral response: 2-button, 4-button, 5-button and 8-button optical response pads (Current Designs, Inc.)
- Custom foot pedal with 2 pedals, trackball response device, bi-manual grip force device and Tethyx joystick with USB, serial, and TTL output (Current Designs, Inc.)
- Rear-projection video displays on all scanners (NEC GT2150, NEC NP2000)
- BOLDscreen MRI-Compatible 32" LCD Display (Cambridge Research Systems [CRS]) on 32 channel scanner. BOLDscreen 3D MR-compatible 24" LCD display (CRS, portable, available on all scanners)
- Eye-tracking system (all MR-compatible): 1) LiveTrack (CRS) system on 2 scanners; 2) Goggles based system on one scanner.
- DC Stimulator (MR-compatible) from Jali Medical
- Magstim Standard Rapid TMS system w/ MRI coil (Jali Medical)
- MRI Fiber Optic Microphone and Noise Cancelling headphones (Optoacoustics)
- NeuroPrax MR8 EMG System, includes DC-EEG, GSR, ECG, and EMG recording during fMRI scanning (Rogue Resolutions)
- Corrective lenses for use with video stimulation: MR-compatible frames with insertable polycarbonate lenses (prescriptions range from -8.00 to +8.00) (Solo Bambini)
- Gustatory stimulation: dual-syringe pump (Harvard Apparatus HA33)
- Audio stimulation: dynamic and piezoelectric headphones (MR Confon, GmbH)
- 10 Gbps Ethernet LAN
- 54 Mbit/s secure wireless network
- Data center with 2-rack capacity
- File server, 9TB RAID disk storage with direct interface to scanners
- All workstations feature MATLAB with all toolboxes, SPM2, AFNI, FSL, MRIcro, xjView, R, and SAS.