Exemplary Service with Professionalism
The Clark Faculty Service Award was established in 2017 to honor faculty members whose exemplary service contributions, have not been recognized previously through an institution-level award by the College. Recipients of this prestigious award represent their professions and Baylor’s mission, vision and values at the highest level, and have made significant, enduring service contributions to the College. Up to five awards are granted each year, accompanied by a cash honorarium of $1,000 and a certificate.
To be considered, a nominee must:
- Have been appointed at least five years as a full-time, part-time and/or voluntary faculty member at Baylor College of Medicine
- Serve the College through significant individual efforts leading to exceptional outcomes relevant to Baylor’s mission, vision and values
- Have made service contributions through a single endeavor, or over multiple activities. Service may be defined in many ways, but generally reflects contributions that go beyond a faculty member’s primary role or roles at Baylor.
- Demonstrate professionalism, ethical behavior and integrity
- Exemplify excellence by consistently producing quality work, exceeding expectations and converting vision into action
- Promote diversity, inclusion and equity through individual actions or programs
Faculty members who have received any of the following awards are not eligible for the Clark Faculty Service Award: Barbara and Corbin J. Robertson, Jr. Presidential Award for Excellence in Education, Master Clinician Award for Excellence in Patient Care, Ben and Margaret Love Foundation Bobby Alford Award for Academic Clinical Professionalism or the DeBakey Excellence in Research Award.
Any Baylor faculty member may nominate a fellow faculty member for a Clark Faculty Service Award by submitting (1) a completed nomination form (download), (2) a letter of support (maximum of two pages) (3) CV (BCM format) and (4) a two-page biosketch from the nominee (preferably NIH or NSF format) to Maria Lopez in the Office of Faculty Development. Letters should be addressed to the Clark Faculty Service Award Selection Committee, and should bring attention to the candidate’s history of service, with professionalism, to one or more Baylor mission area. Effective letters will describe the scope and quality of a nominee’s service contributions; the impacts and/or significance of those contributions, relevance of the service to Baylor's mission, vision or values, and examples of professionalism, ethical behavior, commitment to excellence and support of diversity, inclusion and equity.
The Clark Faculty Service Award Selection Committee reviews all complete nominations and identifies each year’s finalists. Those candidates are then asked to provide five letters of support.
The Clark Faculty Service Award is administered by the Office of Faculty Development. Its nine-member Award Selection Committee, currently chaired by Dr. Ellen Friedman, comprises four Baylor faculty members nominated by the Provost’s Office, four students (selected by their respective deans) representing each Baylor school, and the donor or donor’s representative (non-voting member).
- Nomination form, letter, biosketch and CV (BCM format) must be submitted to Maria Lopez in the Office of Faculty Development by Dec. 13, 2018
- The Selection Committee will meet and select the award finalists by March, 2018
- Finalists will be notified by Jan. 29, 2019
- Chairs/directors must submit supporting documentation to the Office of Faculty Development by Feb. 27, 2019
- Award recipients will be notified by March 2019
- Clark Faculty Service Awards will be given at Baylor’s annual Faculty Awards Ceremony May 2019