- The Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center (BSLMC) and the Texas Heart Institute (THI) are ranked 20th in the nation for cardiology and heart surgery in U.S. News and World Report, with high performance (5/5) for transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), heart failure, and heart attack.
- Ranked #17 nationally by U.S. News and World Report for best global universities for the cardiac and cardiovascular systems, ranked #20 for publications and #15 for citations; ranked #17 for Cardiology by Expertscape.
- The Ben Taub Hospital received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Gold Plus-Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus Award. It is a designated Chest Pain Center and a Mission: Lifeline Gold Plus Receiving Center for STEMI care.
- The Michael E. DeBakey Veteran's Affairs Medical Center is one of the leading VA Centers in pioneering cutting-edge/new technologies (first phrenic nerve pacemaker stimulation to treat central sleep apnea, CardioMems pressure monitoring, orbital atherectomy and the leadless pacemaker.
- Our faculty hold numerous national leadership positions, including and president of the American Society of Echocardiography (Dr. Raymond Stainback) and immediate past president of the Heart Failure Society of America (Dr. Biykem Bozkurt).
- The section has three affiliated hospitals providing an exceptional array of patient populations, pathology, and clinical settings, with a total capacity of 2,000 beds.
- The section published 348 journal publications in the past academic year, including 104 in journals with an impact factor >10.
- There were 87 presentations at the annual scientific sessions of the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology.
View a message from Section of Cardiology Chief, Reza Ardehali, M.D., Ph.D.
The Section of Cardiology offers residency, fellowship and medical school training programs.
Our ongoing research efforts will lead to advances in the treatment of patients with cardiovascular disease through the Cardiovascular Research Institute at Baylor College of Medicine
Our comprehensive, integrated approach to the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease is further improved through the close proximity of disciplines and shared technology within our clinic and our affiliated institutions.