- Baylor College of Medicine Medical Center McNair Campus (Clinic)
- Elkins Pancreas Center Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center 7200 Cambridge St, 7th floor Houston, Texas 77030 United States (713) 798-2262 MAP IT
- Medical Director, Neuroendocrine Tumor Program
- Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Division of General Surgery
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Residency at Medical College of Pennsylvania
- General Surgery
- Fellowship at State University of New York
- Cardiovascular Surgery Research
- Clinical Fellowship at Texas Heart Institute
- Heart Transplantation and Mechanical assist devices
- Clinical Fellowship at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- Transplant Surgery
- Residency at Aleppo University Hospital
- MD from Aleppo University Medical School
- Royal College of Surgeon (Ed), UK
Omar Barakat, M.D. is a general surgeon with more than twenty years of experience in diagnosing and treating benign and malignant diseases of the liver, bile duct, gallbladder, and pancreas. After completing his general surgery residency in the Medical College of Pennsylvania, Episcopal Hospital in Philadelphia in 1992, he pursued a liver transplantation fellowship at The University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston.
Dr. Barakat continued his practice in liver and pancreatic surgery in England, where in 1998 he joined the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle Upon-Tyne, UK. For the next five years he gained extensive experience in treating complex and rare tumors of the liver, bile duct, and pancreas.
Dr. Barakat returned to Houston in 2003 and has been applying his special expertise to treat malignant hepatobiliary and pancreatic diseases, gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST), and neuroendocrine tumors (NET). Currently, he serves as the medical director of the newly established neuroendocrine program at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center. The program includes a multidisciplinary group of gastroenterologists, medical oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, and radiation oncologists.
Dr. Barakat has developed new surgical techniques to minimize the complication rate and blood loss following pancreatic and liver surgeries. He utilizes image-guided therapies, such as radiofrequency ablation, microwave ablation, irreversible electroporation (NanoKnife system), trans-arterial chemotherapy, and selective internal radiotherapy (SIRT) with Yttrium-90 microspheres, to treat liver tumors while minimizing trauma to the patients.
Dr. Barakat's clinical and basic science research interests also include the study of neuroendocrine tumors and the development of off-the-shelf bio-artificial liver organs that can be suitable for liver transplantation in patients with end-stage liver disease.
- Barakat O, Cagigas MN, Bozorgui S, Ozaki CF, Wood RP.. "Proximal Roux-en-y Gastrojejunal Anastomosis with Pyloric Ring Resection Improves Gastric Emptying After Pancreaticoduodenectomy." J Gastrointest Surg. Pubmed PMID: 26850262
- George Van Buren, MD, Omar Barakat, MD, Sally E. Hodges, and William E. Fisher, MD. et al.. "Randomized Prospective Multicenter Trial of Pancreaticoduodenectomy with and without Routine Intraperitoneal Drainage."
- Delpassand ES, Samarghandi A, Mourtada JS, Zamanian S, Espenan GD, Sharif R, Barakat O, Mackenzie S, Kosari K, Seng JE, Antony L.. "Long-Term Survival, Toxicity Profile, and role of F-18 FDG PET/CT scan in Patients with Progressive Neuroendocrine Tumors Following Peptide Receptor Radionuclide Therapy with High Activity In-111 Pentetreotide." Theranostics.
- Barakat O, Ozaki CF, Wood RP. "Topically applied 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (Dermabond) for prevention of postoperative pancreatic fistula after pancreaticoduodenectomy."
- Omar Barakat, Shahrazad Abbasi, M.S. Gabriela Rodriguez, M.D., Jessie Rios, R. Patrick Wood, Claire Ozaki, Laurie S. Holley, Polly K. Guthier. "Use of Decellularized Porcine Liver for Engineering Humanized Liver Organ." Journal of Surgical Research.
- Omar Barakat, MD, FRCS, Gabriela C. Rodriguez, MD, Isaac Raijman, MD, Paul M. Allison, MD, Javier Nieto, MD, Claire F. Ozaki, MD, FACS, Robert P. Wood, MD, FACS, and David A. Engler, PhD. "Clinical Value of Plasma Hepatocyte Growth Factor Measurement for the Diagnosis of Periampullary Cancer and Prognosis after Pancreaticoduodenectomy."
- Omar Barakat, R. Patrick Wood, Claire F. Ozaki, Victor Ankoma-Sey, Joseph Galati, Mark Skolkin, Barry Toombs, Mary Round, Warren Moore, and Luis Mieles. "Morphological Features of Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma as a Predictor of Downstaging and Liver Transplantation: An Intention-to-Treat Analysis."
- Thomas A. Aloia, Omar Barakat, John Connely, Nadine Haykal, David Michel, A. Osama Gaber, R. Mark Ghobrial. "Gastric Radiation Enteritis after Intra-arterial Yttrium-90 Microsphere Therapy for Early Stage Hepatocellular Carcinoma."
- Barakat O, Skolkin M, Toombs B, Fischer J, Ozaki C, Wood RP. "Major liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in the morbidly obese: A proposed strategy to improve outcome."
- O. Barakat, J. Hoef, C. Ozaki, R.P. Wood. "Extended right trisegmentectomy using in situ hypothermic perfusion with modified HTK solution for a large intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma." Journal of Surgical Oncology.
- O. Barakat, J. Cooper Jr, Shirley Riggs, John Hoef, Claire F. Ozaki, and R. Patrick Wood. "Complex Liver Resection for a Large Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma in a Jehovah’s Witness: A Strategy to avoid Transfusion." Journal of Surgical Oncology.
- Compositions and methods related to organ or tissue decellularization
- Embodiments include methods for decellularizing an organ or tissue comprising conditioning the organ or tissue to be decellularized by exposing the organ or tissue to electricity, as well as methods of using such decellularized organs or tissues.
- Co Inventors: Jesus Rios