Tor Savidge, Ph.D.
Tor Savidge, Ph.D.
Department of Pathology & Immunology
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
Professional StatementMy laboratory is actively researching Clostridium difficile pathogenesis and we were the first to identify toxin B as the major virulence factor in human intestine. We also identified a novel innate host defense mechanism against microbial toxin and pioneered new therapeutic concepts which we termed “allosteric therapeutics”.
My research has also played a central role in discovering novel glial cell functions in the gut.
- Savidge TC, Urvil P, Oezguen N, Ali K, Choudhury A, Acharya V, Pinchuk I, Torres AG, English RD, Wiktorowicz JE, Loeffelholz M, Kumar R, Shi L, Nie W, Braun W, Herman B, Hausladen A, Feng H, Stamler JS, Pothoulakis C "Host S-nitrosylation inhibits clostridial small molecule-activated glucosylating toxins.." Nat. Med.. 2011 Sep;17(9):1136-41. Pubmed PMID: 21857653
- Chen D, Savidge T. "Extreme electric fields power catalysis in the active site of ketosteroid isomerase." Science. 2015 Aug 28;349(6251):936. Pubmed PMID: 4797066
- Chen D, Oezguen N, Urvil P, Ferguson C, Dann SM, Savidge TC. "Regulation of protein-ligand binding affinity by hydrogen bond pairing.." Sci Adv. 2016 Mar 25;2(3) Pubmed PMID: 27051863
- Bush TG, Savidge TC, Freeman TC, Cox HJ, Campbell EA, Mucke L, Johnson MH, Sofroniew MV "Fulminant jejuno-ileitis following ablation of enteric glia in adult transgenic mice.." Cell. 1998 Apr 17;93(2):189-201. Pubmed PMID: 9568712
- Cornet A, Savidge TC, Cabarrocas J, Deng WL, Colombel JF, Lassmann H, Desreumaux P, Liblau RS "Enterocolitis induced by autoimmune targeting of enteric glial cells: a possible mechanism in Crohn's disease?." Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.. 2001 Nov 6;98(23):13306-11. Pubmed PMID: 11687633
- Savidge TC, Newman P, Pothoulakis C, Ruhl A, Neunlist M, Bourreille A, Hurst R, Sofroniew MV "Enteric glia regulate intestinal barrier function and inflammation via release of S-nitrosoglutathione.." Gastroenterology. 2007 Apr;132(4):1344-58. Pubmed PMID: 17408650
- Savidge TC. "Epigenetic Regulation of Enteric Neurotransmission by Gut Bacteria.." Front Cell Neurosci.. 2016 Jan 8;9(503) Pubmed PMID: 26778967
- MacEachern SJ, Patel BA, Keenan CM, Dicay M, Chapman K, McCafferty DM, Savidge TC, Beck PL, MacNaughton WK, Sharkey KA "Inhibiting Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase in Enteric Glia Restores Electrogenic Ion Transport in Mice With Colitis.." Gastroenterology. 2015 Aug;149(2):445-455. Pubmed PMID: 25865048
- Mayer EA, Savidge T, Shulman RJ "Brain-gut microbiome interactions and functional bowel disorders." Gastroenterology. 2014 May;146(6):1500-1512. Pubmed PMID: 24583088
- Allosteric therapy of the Clostridium difficile toxins - #R01 NIAID AI10094001 (05/01/2012 - 05/31/2017) Grant funding from NIH R01
- The goal of this study is to develop novel allosteric inhibitors for the C. difficile toxins using inositolphosphate analogs and S-nitrosothiol biology.
- Metabolome-Based Biomarkers and Neutraceuticals in Clostridium Difficile Infection. - #R21DK096323-01 (09/15/2014 - 08/31/2015) Grant funding from NIH R21
- The goal of this study is to develop validate metabolomics biomarkers of disease susceptibility to Clostridium difficile.
- Expert Omics review
- NASA Human Research Roadmap for 2035 Mission to Mars.
- Editorial Board
- American Journal of Physiology (Gastroenterology & Hepatology).
Log In to edit your profile