Stacey Pereira, Ph.D.
Stacey Pereira, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, Texas United States
- Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications (ELSI) of Genomics
- PhD from Rice University
- Houston, Texas United States
- BA from Clark University
- Worcester, Massachusetts United States
- Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues (ELSI) in genomics
- Medical Anthropology
- Clinical Integration of Genomic Sequencing
- Newborn Genomics
- Ethnographic Methods
- Anthropology of Science & Technology
- Qualitative Research Methods
Professional StatementDr. Pereira is an assistant professor in the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy. Her current research focuses on social and ethical issues in genomics, with particular emphasis on the impact of integrating genomics into the clinical care of different populations, including newborns, healthy adults, and military personnel. Additional research interests include issues related to banking, sharing, and research use of human biospecimens. She received her BA in psychology from Clark University, summa cum laude, and her PhD in anthropology with a focus on medical anthropology and anthropology of science from Rice University.
- Stacey Pereira, Hadley Stevens Smith, Leslie A Frankel, Kurt D Christensen, Rubaiya Islam, Jill Oliver Robinson, Casie A Genetti, Carrie L Blout Zawatsky, Bethany Zettler, Richard B Parad, Susan Waisbren, Alan Beggs, Robert Green, Ingrid Holm, Amy McGuire "Psychosocial Effect of Newborn Genomic Sequencing on Families in the BabySeq ProjectA Randomized Clinical Trial." JAMA Pediatr.. 2021 : Pubmed PMID: 34424265
- Pereira S, Hsu R, Islam R, Robinson JO, Ramapriyan R, Sirotich E, Maxwell MD, Majumder M, Blout C, Christensen KD, Mehlman M, Parasidis E, Gardner CL, Killian JM, De Castro M, Green RC, McGuire AL "Airmen and healthcare providers’ attitudes toward the use of genomic sequencing in the US Air Force: Findings from the MilSeq Project." Genetics in Medicine. 2020 : Pubmed PMID: 32807975
- Pereira, S, Robinson, JO, Gutierrez, AM, Petersen, D, Hsu, RL, Lee, CH, Schwartz, TS, Holm, IA, Beggs, AH, Green, RC, McGuire, AL, for The BabySeq Project Group "Perceived Benefits, Risks, and Utility of Newborn Genomic Sequencing in the BabySeq Project." Pediatrics. 2019 143 (s1): S6-S13.
- Pereira, S, Wright Clayton, E "Commercial Interests, the Technological Imperative, and Advocates: Three Forces Driving Genomic Sequencing in Newborns." Hastings Center Report. 2018 July/August : S43-44. Pubmed PMID: 30133724
- Pereira, S "“DNA is information, and genetics is information technology”: Reconsidering the genetic code." Am J Bioeth. 2019 19 (1): 75-76.
- Malek, J, Pereira, S, Robinson, JO, Gutierrez, AM, Slashinski, MJ, Parsons, DW, Plon, SE, McGuire, AL "Responsibility, Culpability, and Parental Views on Genomic Testing for Seriously Ill Children." Genetics in Medicine. (in press) :
- Holm, IA, McGuire, AL, Pereira, S, Rehm, H, Green, RC, Beggs, AH, for the BabySeq Project Group "Returning a genomic result for an adult-onset condition to the parents of a newborn: Insights from the BabySeq Project." Pediatrics. 2019 143 (s1): S37-S43.
- Shamshirsaz, AA, Sellner, AA, Erfani, H, Aagaard, KM, Nassr, AA, Pereira, S, Belfort, MA, McCullough, LB, Chervenak, FA "An ethical framework for research on maternal-fetal intervention in the presence of maternal HIV or Hepatitis B and C seropositivity." Obstet Gynecol. 2019 133 (1): 48-52. Pubmed PMID: 30531563
- Johnston, J, Lantos, JD, Goldenberg, A, Chen, F, Parens, E, Koenig, BA, members of the NSIGHT Ethics and Policy Advisory Board "Sequencing Newborns: A Call for Nuanced Use of Genomic Technologies." Hastings Center Report. 2018 July/August : S2-6. Pubmed PMID: 30133723
- Genetti, CA, Schwartz, TS, Robinson, JO, VanNoy, GE, Petersen, D, Pereira, S, Fayer, S, Peoples, HA, Agrawal, PB, Betting WN, Holm, IA, McGuire, AL, Waisbren, SE, Yu, TW, Green, RC, Beggs, AH, Parad, RB "Parental Interest in Genomic Sequencing of Newborns: Enrollment Experience from the BabySeq Project." 2018 [Epub ahead of print] :
- Kostick, KM, Brannan, C, Pereira, S, Lázaro-Muñoz, G "Psychiatric genetics researchers’ views on offering return of results to individual participants." Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2018 [Epub ahead of print] : Pubmed PMID: 30358063
- Holm, IA, Agrawal, PB, Ceyhan-Birsoy, O, Christensen, KD, Fayer, S, Frankel LA, Genetti, CA, Krier, JB, LaMay, RC, Levy, HL, McGuire, AL, Parad, RB, Park, PJ, Pereira, S, Rehm, HL, Schwartz, TS, Waisbren, SE, Yu, TW, Green, RC, Beggs, AH "The BabySeq Project: Implementing Genomic Sequencing in Newborns." BMC Pediatrics. 2018 18 (225): Pubmed PMID: 29986673
- Pereira, S, Robinson, JO, Peoples, HA, Gutierrez, AM, Majumder, MA, McGuire, AM, Rothstein, MA "Do privacy and security regulations need a status update? Perspectives from an intergenerational survey." 2017 September ; 12 (9): e0184525. Pubmed PMID: 28926626
- Roberts, JL, Pereira, S, McGuire, AL "Should you profit from your genome?." Nature Biotechnology. 2017 35 (1): 18-20. Pubmed PMID: 28072771
- Berg, JS et al. "Newborn Sequencing in Genomic Medicine and Public Health." Pediatrics. 2017 139 (2): e20162252. Pubmed PMID: 28096516
- Pereira, S, Robinson, JO, McGuire, AL "Return of Individual Genomic Research Results: What do Consent Forms Tell Participants?." European Journal of Human Genetics. 2016 24 (11): 1524-1529. Pubmed PMID: 27329739
- Frankel, LA, Pereira, S, McGuire, AL "Potential Psychosocial Risks of Sequencing Newborns." Pediatrics. 2016 137 (S1): S24-S29. Pubmed PMID: 26729699
- Becnel, LB, Pereira, S, Drummond, JA, Gingras, MC, Covington, KR, Kovar, CL, Doddapaneni, HV, Hu, J, Muzny, D, McGuire, AM, Wheeler, DA, Gibbs, RA "An Open Access Pilot Freely Sharing Cancer Genomic Data from Participants in Texas." Scientific Data. 2016 16 (3): 160010. Pubmed PMID: 26882539
- McGuire, AL, Moore, Q, Majumder, M, Walkiewicz, M, Eng, C, Belmont, J, Nassef, S, Darilek, S, Rutherford, K, Pereira, S, Scherer, S, Sutton VR, Wolf, D, Gibbs, RA, Kahn, R, Sanchez, LA, on behalf of the Molecular Autopsy Consortium of Houston (MATCH) "The Ethics of Conducting Molecular Autopsies in Cases of Sudden Death in the Young." Genome Research. 2016 26 : 1165-1169. Pubmed PMID: 27412853
- Pereira, S, Gibbs, RA, McGuire, AL "Open Access Data Sharing in Genomic Research." Genes. 2014 5 (3): 739-747. Pubmed PMID: 25178093
- Caskey CT, Gonzalez-Garay ML, Pereira S, McGuire AL "Adult Genetic Risk Screening." Annual Review of Medicine. 2014 65 : 1-17. Pubmed PMID: 24188662
- Gonzalez-Garay ML, McGuire AL, Pereira S, Caskey CT "Personalized genomic disease risk of volunteers." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.. 2013 110 (42): 16957-16962. Pubmed PMID: 24082139
- Pereira S "Motivations and Barriers to Sharing Biological Samples: A Case Study." J Pers Med.. 2013 June ; 32 (2): 102-110. Pubmed PMID: 25562521
Log In to edit your profile