Sekhar, M.D., B.S.
Sekhar, M.D., B.S.
- Associate Professor
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Residency at University of Oklahoma College of Medicine
- 06/2003 - Tulsa, OK United States
- Internal Medicine
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 06/2000 - Houston, TX United States
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- American Board of Medical Specialties
- Glutathione deficiency in aging, diabetes and HIV
Professional StatementThe Sekhar laboratory is interested in understanding mechanisms contributing to abnormalities in mitochondrial fuel and energy metabolism, insulin resistance, obesity and dyslipidemia as seen in aging, HIV and diabetes. They have discovered that deficiency of glutathione (the most abundant endogenous antioxidant) results in impaired mitochondrial fatty-acid oxidation, and predisposes to obesity and insulin resistance. The group is currently conducting studies in aging, diabetes and HIV infection.
- Nguyen D, Samson SL, Reddy VT, Gonzalez EV, Sekhar RV "Impaired mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation and insulin resistance in aging: novel protective role of glutathione.." Aging Cell. 2013 June ; 12 (3): 415-25. Pubmed PMID: 23534396
- Sekhar RV, Jahoor F, Iyer D, Guthikonda A, Paranilam J, Elhaj F, Coraza I, Balasubramanyam A "Leptin replacement therapy does not improve the abnormal lipid kinetics of hypoleptinemic patients with HIV-associated lipodystrophy syndrome.." Metab. Clin. Exp.. 2012 October ; 61 (10): 1395-403. Pubmed PMID: 22542724
- Sekhar RV, Patel SG, Guthikonda AP, Reid M, Balasubramanyam A, Taffet GE, Jahoor F "Deficient synthesis of glutathione underlies oxidative stress in aging and can be corrected by dietary cysteine and glycine supplementation.." Am. J. Clin. Nutr.. 2011 September ; 94 (3): 847-53. Pubmed PMID: 21795440
- Sekhar RV, McKay SV, Patel SG, Guthikonda AP, Reddy VT, Balasubramanyam A, Jahoor F "Glutathione synthesis is diminished in patients with uncontrolled diabetes and restored by dietary supplementation with cysteine and glycine.." Diabetes Care. 2011 January ; 34 (1): 162-7. Pubmed PMID: 20929994
- Sekhar RV, Patel SG, D'Amico S, Shi J, Balasubramanyam A, Rehman K, Jahoor F, Visnegarwala F "Effects of rosiglitazone on abnormal lipid kinetics in HIV-associated dyslipidemic lipodystrophy: a stable isotope study.." Metab. Clin. Exp.. 2011 June ; 60 (6): 754-60. Pubmed PMID: 20832829
- Balasubramanyam A, Rao S, Misra R, Sekhar RV, Ballantyne CM "Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and associated risk factors in Asian Indians.." 2008 August ; 10 (4): 313-23. Pubmed PMID: 18026838
- Sekhar RV, Jahoor F, Pownall HJ, Rehman K, Gaubatz J, Iyer D, Balasubramanyam A "Severely dysregulated disposal of postprandial triacylglycerols exacerbates hypertriacylglycerolemia in HIV lipodystrophy syndrome.." Am. J. Clin. Nutr.. 2005 June ; 81 (6): 1405-10. Pubmed PMID: 15941894
- Sekhar RV, Jahoor F, Pownall HJ, Ballantyne CM, Balasubramanyam A "Cardiovascular implications of HIV-associated dyslipidemic lipodystrophy.." Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2004 May ; 6 (3): 173-9. Pubmed PMID: 15068741
Log In to edit your profile