- Assistant Professor
Mol. & Human Gen.
Baylor College of Medicine
- PhD from Washington University in St Louis
- 12/2013 - St Louis, Missouri United States
- Molecular Genetics and Genomics
- BS from University of Virginia
- 05/2007 - Charlottesville, Virginia United States
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Harvard University
- 05/2021 - Cambridge, Massachusetts United States
Professional StatementThe brain is composed of a remarkably diverse set of neuronal cell types that each play a specific role in supporting brain function. When CNS tissues are damaged by injury or disease, this complex machine becomes dysfunctional, often with limited potential for recovery. A curious phenomenon is that in essentially all neurodegenerative conditions, certain cell types are more affected than others. My lab focuses on understanding what happens to different neuronal populations in neurodegenerative conditions using cutting edge single-cell genomic approaches. Our model of choice is the retina, the most accessible part of the brain, which we use both to study blinding disorders like glaucoma and to study basic mechanisms of degeneration. Our ultimate mission is to identify better targets for therapies that protect neurons from degeneration and stimulate axon regeneration.
The Tran lab is recruiting! Currently, we are accepting applications for the following positions:
Postdoctoral fellowship: https://jobs.bcm.edu/job/Houston-Postdoctoral-Associate-Texa/769208000/
Please contact Dr. Tran if you would like any additional information regarding these positions.
- Shekhar K, Lapan SW, Whitney IE, Tran NM, Macosko EZ, Kowalczyk M, Adiconis X, Levin JZ, Nemesh J, Goldman M, McCarroll SA, Cepko CL, Regev A, Sanes JR "Comprehensive Classification of Retinal Bipolar Neurons by Single-Cell Transcriptomics." Cell. 2016 August 25; 166 (5): 1308-1323. Pubmed PMID: 27565351
- Yan W, Laboulaye MA, Tran NM, Whitney IE, Benhar I, Sanes JR "Mouse Retinal Cell Atlas: Molecular Identification of over Sixty Amacrine Cell Types." Neurosci.. 2020 July 1; 40 (27): 5177-5195. Pubmed PMID: 32457074
- Lindborg JA, Tran NM, Chenette DM, DeLuca K, Foli Y, Kannan R, Sekine Y, Wang X, Wollan M, Kim IJ, Sanes JR, Strittmatter SM "Optic nerve regeneration screen identifies multiple genes restricting adult neural repair." Cell Rep.. 2021 March 2; 34 (9): 108777. Pubmed PMID: 33657370
- Peng YR, Tran NM, Krishnaswamy A, Kostadinov D, Martersteck EM, Sanes JR "Satb1 Regulates Contactin 5 to Pattern Dendrites of a Mammalian Retinal Ganglion Cell." Neuron. 2017 August 16; 95 (4): 869-883. Pubmed PMID: 28781169
- Norsworthy MW, Bei F, Kawaguchi R, Wang Q, Tran NM, Li Y, Brommer B, Zhang Y, Wang C, Sanes JR, Coppola G, He Z "Sox11 Expression Promotes Regeneration of Some Retinal Ganglion Cell Types but Kills Others." Neuron. 2017 June 21; 94 (6): 1112-1120. Pubmed PMID: 28641110
- Tran NM, Shekhar K, Whitney IE, Jacobi A, Benhar I, Hong G, Yan W, Adiconis X, Arnold ME, Lee JM, Levin JZ, Lin D, Wang C, Lieber CM, Regev A, He Z, Sanes JR "Single-Cell Profiles of Retinal Ganglion Cells Differing in Resilience to Injury Reveal Neuroprotective Genes." Neuron. 2019 December 18; 18 (104): 1039-1055. Pubmed PMID: 31784286
- R00 (09/06/2021 - 09/05/2024) NIH
Log In to edit your profile