Human Genome Sequencing Center
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
I direct the Minority Diversity Initiative in the Human Genome Sequencing Center at Baylor College of Medicine. This includes developing all programs to interest minority students in genomics. Coordinating application process, hiring process, and identifying and hiring instructors for the programs. Managing personnel ~ 9 -13 people, and managing a $400000/yearly budget. Coordinate HGSC Education programming and instruct HGSC Research Technicians theory training sessions. Serve on BCM SMARTPREP Steering Committee and Medical School Office of Diversity Committees. Coordinate HGSC tours for colleges, BCM alumni, distinguished international visitors, and selected scientific programs.
- Program Coordinator
Institute for Opportunity and Equality
National Urban League
Washington, District of Columbia United States
Coordinated a national plan, funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (NDEP), to educate African Americans about diabetes utilizing the unique NUL affiliate network. Duties entailed the following: developed a national strategy; managed a $1.5 million budget; designed community intervention projects for affiliates in Houston, TX, Miami, FL, Seattle, WA and Louisville, KY; developed an evaluation plan for the national program and the affiliate programs; managed national and affiliate health staff; identified members for and convened a National Health Advisory Board; presented NUL’s programs at various national conferences; served on CDC African American workgroup; established training conferences for affiliate staff and state Diabetes Control Program staff; developed health website (www.nul.org/health); coordinated media campaign for “Lift Every Voice”; and established four Regional Training and Technical Centers in Houston, TX, Richmond, VA, Columbus, OH and Seattle, WA.
- Research Biologist
Dallas VA Medical Center
Dallas, Texas United States
Manage laboratory budget and laboratory personnel who consisted of a lab technician, surgery research fellow, and a second year medical student; served as technical advisor to the surgery research group, which consisted of six general surgeons and their laboratory personnel; conduct cell/molecular biology research project on cytoskeleton of pulmonary artery endothelial cells; funding for project through VA Merit Grant system.
- Research Instructor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Dallas, Texas United States
Adjunct position-duties were carried out at V.A
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas United States
Conducted research to understand role of mitosis in Aspergillus; used DNA isolating protocols to analyze mutants to identify mutations in metaphase B.
- Graduate Student
West Lafayette, Indiana United States
Conducted cell biology research project to identify a novel protein involved in cytokinesis using sea urchin eggs. Senior lab manager-maintained inventory, trained undergraduate students; mentor for men and women’s basketball programs.
- BA from University of Texas-Austin
- 08/1982 - Austin, Texas United States
- PhD from Purdue University
- 01/1997 - West Lafayette, Indiana United States
- Cell Biology
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship at Baylor College Of Medicine
- 01/1998 - Houston, Texas United States
- Cell Biology/Molecular Genetics
- MS from Prairie View A and M University
- 01/1986 - Prairie View, Texas United States
- Environmental Toxicology
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine and University of Texas HSC-Houston
- 08/2011 - Houston, Texas United States
- Education Scholars Fellowship Program
- Managerial Leadership Certificate
- (05/01/1999 - 08/07/2000)
- University of Texas at Austin/Red McComb School of
The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) receives funding from NHGRI to increase the number of underrepresented minorities in the genomic sciences. Our Minority Diversity Initiative (MDI) established two programs: a summer research program, HGSC-G/GREAT (Genetics/Genomics Research Education And Training), and a post-baccalaureate program, HGSC-PGET (Pre-Graduate Education Training).
- Human Genome Sequencing Center (05/2003 - 07/2014)
- The HGSC-G/GREAT program provides summer internships for student’s exposure to genetics, genomics, and robotics research experiences. Our program also provides a Kaplan GREprep course, tutoring, attendance to all activities in the larger BCM SMART program (such as the weekly biomedical seminar series), and mentoring.
- Human Genome Sequencing Center (03/2003 - 08/2015)
- The HGSC-PGET program provides research opportunities and academic enhancement activities to recent college graduates in order to gain admission into graduate school. The program provides college tuition, Kaplan GREprep course, required courses- Topics in Genomics and Molecular/Cellular Biology, weekly seminar series, graduate school preparation, and mentoring. We have placed these students in laboratories in the HGSC, Molecular and Human Genetics, and other BCM departments.
- National Association of Medical Minority Educators
- Chair, Legal Affairs/Legislative (09/2011 - 09/2014)
- American Society of Cell Biology
- Mentor to Minority Affairs Commi (12/2006)
- HGSC-Minority Diversity Initiative To Maximize Research Education In Genomics - #R25-HG006674-
- $1,700,000.00 (03/20/2012 - 10/31/2015) Grant funding from National Human Genome Research Institute
- The goal of the HGSC Minority Diversity Initiative to Maximize Research Education in Genomics is to increase the number of underrepresented minorities in genomics. Role: Senior Investigator
Log In to edit your profile