Andrew Childress, Ph.D.
Andrew Childress, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX, US
- BCM-Jewish Institute for Research (Office)
Houston, TX 77030
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at University of Texas Medical Branch
- 04/2015 - Galveston, Texas, United States
- Clinical Ethics, Translational Research Ethics
- PhD from University of Texas Medical Branch
- 12/2012 - Galveston, Texas, United States
- Medical Humanities, Healthcare Ethics
- Clinical Ethics
- Medical Humanities
- Literature and Medicine
Professional StatementAndrew Childress, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy at Baylor College of Medicine and a Clinical Ethicist at Houston Methodist Hospital and Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center He has a Ph.D. in Medical Humanities and has completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Clinical and Translational Research Ethics at The University of Texas Medical Branch. His research interests include the integration of the humanities within medical education and illness narratives within the context of clinical ethics consultations.
- Stephens, Ashley L., Courtenay R. Bruce, Andrew Childress, and Janet Malek ""Why Families Get Angry: Practical Strategies for Clinical Ethics Consultants to Rebuild Trust between Angry Families and Clinicians in the Critical Care Environment."." HEC Forum. 2019 February 28; : [Epub ahead of print]. Pubmed PMID: 30820819
- Childress, A. M., and C. R. Thomas ""Navigating the Perfect Storm: Ethical Guidance for Conducting Research Involving Participants with Multiple Vulnerabilities."." Kennedy Inst Ethics. 2018 28 (4): 451-478. Pubmed PMID: 30713194
- Bruce CR, Bibler T, Childress A, Fedson S "Legislating how critical care physicians discuss and implement do-not-resuscitate orders." J Crit Care.. 2018 April ; (44): 459-461. Pubmed PMID: 29287932
- Bruce CR, Bibler T, Childress A, Fedson S "Legislating Medicine: The Need for Evidence, Argument, and Alliance.." Crit Care Med. 2018 May ; 46 (5): 788-790. Pubmed PMID: 29252931
- Zeybek, B., A. M. Childress, G. S. Kilic, J. Y. Phelps, L. D. Pacheco, M. A. Carter, and M. A. Borahay. "Management of the Jehovah's Witness in Obstetrics and Gynecology: A Comprehensive Medical, Ethical, and Legal Approach." Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2016 August ; 71 (8): 488-500.
- Bruce CR, Bibler T, Childress AM, Stephens AL, Pena AM, Allen NG. "Navigating Ethical Conflicts between Advance Directives and Surrogate Decision Makers' Interpretations of Patient Wishes." Chest.. 2015 October 22; 149 (2): 532-567. Pubmed PMID: 26502321
- Kutac J, Osipov R, Childress A "Innovation Through Tradition: Rediscovering the "Humanist" in the Medical Humanities.." J Med Humanit.. 2015 October 11; 37 (4): 371-387. Pubmed PMID: 26561349
- Brody H, Childress AM. "Understanding randomization: helpful strategies.." Am J Bioeth.. 2009 February ; 9 (2): 14-15. Pubmed PMID: 19180384
Log In to edit your profile