Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Recognize the role of epidemiology in identifying the distribution, patterns, causes, and effects of health and disease conditions in defined populations, and informing public health policy.
- Describe the role of health education, water and sanitation management in the control of tropical diseases.
- Describe the link between neglected tropical diseases and poverty.
- Appreciate the relationship between health policy and control programs.
- Identify the basics of biotechnology/biopharmaceutical development (i.e. vaccines, drugs and diagnostics).
- Describe the basic pathogenesis of tropical and infectious diseases.
- Describe the role of vector biology and animal health involved in the transmission of certain pathogens.
- Perform basic diagnostic procedures and identify the organisms that cause illnesses.