Hear big, bold ideas and inspirational stories on how to reboot, reframe, and reimagine healthcare and beyond.
- A Crisis of Connection: Can Creating Moments of Meaning Improve Your Mental Health? | Amy McGuire, J.D., Ph.D.
- DNA In The Doctor’s Office | Richard Gibbs, AC, Ph.D.
- Our Health, Our Security, Our Choice | Sharmila Anandasabapathy, M.D., FASGE, AGAF
- Designing a Life that Matters | Greg Brenneman
- Will Epigenetics Change the Speed of Evolution? | Cheryl Lyn Walker, Ph.D.
- Changing Your Mind’s Mind: Lessons From A Surgeon In Overcoming Obstacles | Ronald Cotton, M.D., FACS
- Space Innovations Lead to a Healthier Life | Dorit Donoviel, Ph.D.
- Everyone Can Be A Philanthropist | Kelly Hackett, JD
Thank you to our sponsors, speakers, collaborators, partners, and community.
The Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy hosted Baylor College of Medicine’s first-ever TEDx event on Feb 8, 2022. The evening was jam-packed and covered a variety of topics ranging from leadership and philanthropy to public health, mental health, genetics, evolution, surgery, and space exploration. In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TEDxBaylorCollegeofMedicine is dedicated to bringing together leading thinkers and doers to share ideas across many disciplines – technology, entertainment, design, science, humanities, business and development. Our aim is to build a meaningful connection between the work at Baylor and the people we serve in the community and share inspirational stories of how our community is improving health through science, scholarship and innovation.
This independent TEDx event is operated under license from TED.
Baylor College of Medicine
- Sharmila Anandasabapathy, M.D., FASGE, AGAF, Vice President of Baylor Global Health, Professor of Medicine - Gastroenterology
- Dorit Donoviel, Ph.D., Director, Translational Research Institute for Space Health; Associate Professor, Dept. of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology and the Center for Space Medicine
- Ronald Cotton, M.D., FACS, Associate Professor of Surgery & Director General Surgery Residency Program
- Amy L. McGuire, JD, Ph.D., Leon Jaworski Professor of Biomedical Ethics and Director of the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
- Richard Gibbs, Ph.D., Director of the Human Genome Sequencing Center and Wofford Cain Chair and Professor of Molecular and Human Genetics
- Cheryl Walker, Ph.D., Director, Center for Precision Environmental Health, Professor, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
- Greg Brenneman, Executive Chairman, CMMP Capital and author of Right Away and All at Once and Harvard Business Review on Crisis Management
- Kelly Hackett, JD, CAP®, Managing Director-Tectonic Advisors Family Office Services
- Emceed by KPRC meteorologist and "Houston Newsmakers" host Khambrel Marshall
Thank You To Our Sponsors
- Beth Robertson & Steve Pearce
- Janet and Paul Hobby
- Norton Rose Fulbright
- Maire and David Baldwin
- Melanie Gray and Mark Wawro
- John Nau
- ReedSmith LLP
- Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld LLP
- Baker Botts L.L.P.
- Cathy and Bob Brewton
- Google, Inc.
- Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
- InstaMed, a J.P.Morgan Company
- King & Spalding
- Littler Mendelson, PC
- Mike Loya
- Norbert Bischofberger
- Pirkey Barber
- Tanya and Bill Mearse
- Bank of America
- Mettler-Toledo Rainin, LLC
- TE-KO Contractors, Inc.
- VWR, Part of Avantor
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 30 years ago, TED has grown to support its mission with multiple initiatives. The two annual TED Conferences invite the world's leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes or less. Many of these talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Sal Khan and Daniel Kahneman.
The annual TED Conference takes place each spring in Vancouver, British Columbia. TED's media initiatives include TED.com, where new TED Talks are posted daily; TED Translators, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed. TED has established The Audacious Project that takes a collaborative approach to funding ideas with the potential to create change at thrilling scale; TEDx, which supports individuals or groups in hosting local, self- organized TED-style events around the world, and the TED Fellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.