- TCH- Clinical Care Center (Clinic) 6701 Fannin St. 11th Floor Houston, Texas 77030 United States (832) 822-3670
- Assistant Professor
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, TX, US
- MD from Indiana University School of Medicine
- Residency at Indiana University School of Medicine
- Clinical Fellowship at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Vitamin D Regulation
As a pediatric endocrinologist, I am well trained in the medical management of obesity and type 2 diabetes. Although I have observed vastly different clinical phenotypes of obesity, I am unable as a clinician to effectively treat these patients with the current medical therapies. Thus, I am highly motivated to increase medical knowledge on the pathogenesis of obesity and diabetes and translate it into more clinically effective therapies, specifically for the pediatric population. During my clinical endocrinology fellowship, I was mentored by Drs. Randy Seeley and Darleen Sandoval, experts in the brain’s control of weight and glucose. I used the knowledge from their expertise to investigate the mechanism behind a common clinical correlation: vitamin D deficiency and different components of the metabolic syndrome (including obesity and type 2 diabetes). I chose to defer accepting a faculty position as a pediatric endocrinologist to invest additional time into research training. My research has shown an important effect of the brain in the weight-lowering properties of a commonly used adult diabetic medication, liraglutide. My current research projects stem from my interest in the role of vitamin D signaling in the brain to control weight and glucose. I am clinically involved in the Program for Healthy Bodies Clinic and the Endocrinology Clinic at Texas Children's Hospital.
- Sisley S, Sandoval D. "Hypothalamic control of energy and glucose metabolism.." Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2011 September;12(3):219-33. Pubmed PMID: 21695389
- Chambers AP, Stefater MA, Wilson-Perez HE, Jessen L, Sisley S, Ryan KK, Gaitonde S, Sorrell JE, Toure M, Berger J, D'Alessio DA, Sandoval DA, Seeley RJ, Woods SC. "Similar effects of roux-en-Y gastric bypass and vertical sleeve gastrectomy on glucose regulation in rats.." Physiol. Behav.. 2011 November 30;105(1):120-3. Pubmed PMID: 21683726
- Sandoval D, Barrera JG, Stefater MA, Sisley S, Woods SC, D'Alessio DD, Seeley RJ. "The Anorectic Effect of GLP-1 in Rats Is Nutrient Dependent.." PLoS ONE. 2012;7(12):e51870. Pubmed PMID: 23284795
- Chambers AP, Jessen L, Ryan KK, Sisley S, Wilson-Pérez HE, Stefater MA, Gaitonde SG, Sorrell JE, Toure M, Berger J, D'Alessio DA, Woods SC, Seeley RJ, Sandoval DA. "Weight-independent changes in blood glucose homeostasis after gastric bypass or vertical sleeve gastrectomy in rats.." Gastroenterology. 2011 September;141(3):950-8. Pubmed PMID: 21699789
- Sisley, S, Smith, K, Sandoval, DA, Seeley, RJ. "Differences in acute anorectic effects of long-acting GLP-1 receptor agonists in rats." Peptides. 2014 Pubmed PMID: 24879927
- Sisley, S, Gutierrez-Aguilar, R, Scott, M, D’Alessio, DA, Sandoval, DA, Seeley, RJ. "CNS GLP-1R mediate anorectic, not glucose-lowering, effects of liraglutide." JCI. 2014 Pubmed PMID: 24762441
- Sisley, S.R., Vargas, M., Khoury, J., Backeljauw, P. "Low Incidence of Pathology Detection and High Cost of Screening in the Evaluation of Asymptomatic Short Children." J Peds. 2013 Pubmed PMID: 23706358
- Heppner, K.M, Piechowski, C.L., Muller, A, Ottaway, N, Sisley, S, Smiley, D.L., Habegger, K.M. Pfluger, P.T., Dimarchi, R, Biebermann, H, Tschop, M.H., Sandoval, D.A., Perez-Tilve, D. "Both acyl and des-acyl ghrelin regulate adiposity and glucose metabolism via CNS ghrelin receptors." Diabetes. 2013;3:122-31.
- Chambers, AP, Smith EP, Begg DP, Grayson, BE, Sisley, S, Greer, T, Sorell, J, Lemmen, L, Lasance, K, Woods, SC, Seele, RJ, D’Alessio, DA, Sandoval, DA. "Regulation of gastric emptying rate and its role in nutrient-induced GLP-1 secretion in rats after vertical sleeve gastrectomy." AJPEM. 2014;306(4):e424-32.
- Bielohuby, M, Sisley, S, Sandoval D.A, Sorrell, J, Menhofer, D, Stoehr, B, Stemmer, K, Pfluger, P, Ottaway, N, Tschöp, M, Seeley, R.J., Bidlingmaier, M. "Impaired glucose tolerance in rats fed low-." AJPEM. 2013;305(9):e1059-70.
- Sisley SR, Arble DM, Chambers AP, Gutierrez-Aguilar R, He Y, Xu Y, Gardner D, Moore DD, Seeley RJ, Sandoval DA. "Hypothalamic Vitamin D Improves Glucose Homeostasis and Reduces Weight." Diabetes. 2016 Pubmed PMID: 27217488
- Endocrine Society
- American Association of Pediatrics
- Pediatric Endocrine Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Central Vitamin D in Weight and Glucose Regulation
- We are investigating the role of the vitamin D receptor in weight and glucose regulation. This includes the use of genetic mouse models as well as investigations of the interaction of diet with vitamin D receptor action.
- Brain Signaling, Metabolism, and Obesity
- Grant funding from USDA
- CNS Vitamin D3 Regulation of Glucose
- Grant funding from Baylor College of Medicine
- Junior Faculty Development Grant
- American Diabetes Association
- This grant is aimed at uncovering the role of the PVN in the glucose-lowering effects of vitamin D in the brain.
- Beginning Grant in Aid
- American Heart Association
- This grant is aimed at uncovering the effects of the vitamin D receptor in POMC neurons of the brain on weight and glucose regulation.