- Abdominal Transplant & Liver Disease (Clinic)
- Baylor Clinic 6620 Main Street Suite 1450 Houston, Texas 77030 United States SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT - (832) 355-1400
- Dr. Cotton's Care Centers
- Abdominal Transplant and Liver Disease Clinic
- Blog Growing Up Baylor: Dr. Ronald Cotton
- BLOG: Crisscross Organ Swap Alters Two Navy Veterans’ Lives Forever
- Follow Dr. Cotton on Twitter
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Division of Abdominal Transplantation
- Baylor College of Medicine
- BS from University of Houston
- MD from Baylor College of Medicine
- Residency at Baylor College of Medicine
- General Surgery
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- Clinical Post-Doctoral Fellow
- American Board of Surgery
A native Houstonian, Dr. Ronald Cotton graduated valedictorian from the Michael E. DeBakey High School of Health Professions in 1998. Upon graduation, he entered the Houston Premedical Academy, an 8-year BS/MD program housed at the University of Houston and Baylor College of Medicine. Dr. Cotton completed a bachelor’s of science in biology summa cum laude in 2002 and medical doctorate in 2006. After finishing medical school, he entered his general surgery residency at Baylor. During his residency, Dr. Cotton completed a two-year research fellowship at the Liver, Kidney and Pancreas Center and the Human Genome Sequencing Center at Baylor. There, his research interest centered on developing a high-quality tissue repository, and using these samples to detect genomic differences between Hepatitis B-, Hepatitis C-, and non-viral associated hepatocellular carcinoma.
His research has resulted in numerous peer-reviewed publication as well as local, national and international presentations. Dr. Cotton has received numerous clinical accolades during his residency, including being named a 2012 Raleigh Ross Scholar by the Texas Surgical Society.
- Nguyen NT, Cotton RT, Harring TR, Guiteau JJ, Gingras MC, Wheeler DA, O'Mahony CA, Gibbs RA, Brunicardi FC, Goss JA. "A Primer On A Hepatocellular Carcinoma Bioresource Bank Using The Cancer Genome Atlas Guidelines: Practical Issues And Pitfalls." World J Surg.
- Guiteau JJ, Cotton RT, Washburn WK, Harper A, O'Mahony CA, Sebastian A, Cheng S, Klintmalm G, Ghobrial M, Halff G, Mieles L, Goss J. "An Early Regional Experience With Expansion Of Milan Criteria For Liver Transplant Recipients. Am J Transplant." Am J Transplant. Pubmed PMID: 20883543
- Harring TR, Guiteau JJ, Nguyen NT, Cotton RT, Gingras MC, Wheeler DA, O'Mahony CA, Gibbs RA, Brunicardi FC, Goss JA. "Building A Comprehensive Genomic Program For Hepatocellular Carcinoma." World J Surg.
- Cotton RT, Nguyen NT, Guiteau JJ, Goss JA. "Current techniques for pediatric liver transplantation." Curr Opin Organ Transplant.
- Harring TR, Nguyen NT, Cotton RT, Guiteau JJ, Salas De Armas IA, Liu H, Goss JA, O'Mahony CA. "Liver Transplantation With Donation After Cardiac Death Donors: A Comprehensive Update." J Surg Res.
- Khaderi S, Guiteau J, Cotton RT, O'Mahony C, Rana A, Goss JA. "Role of liver transplantation in the management of hepatoblastoma in the pediatric population." World J Transplant.
- Rana A, Pallister ZS, Guiteau JJ, Cotton RT, Halazun K, Nalty CC, Khaderi SA, O'Mahony CA, Goss JA. "Survival Outcomes Following Pediatric Liver Transplantation (Pedi-SOFT) Score: A Novel Predictive Index." Am J Transplant.
- American College of Surgeons