- Veterans Affairs Medical Centr Room: VAMC-5C-278 Mail Stop: BCM350 Houston, Texas 77030 United States
- Psychiatry Research
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, TX, US
- Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, Texas, United States
- Advanced Training from Harvard Medical School
- Ph.D. from University Of Texas Medical Branch Affiliate Hospitals
- M.S. from University Of North Texas
- B.S. from Texas A&M University Commerce
- Behavioral Pharmacology
Dr. De La Garza conducts laboratory studies in humans to investigate the safety and efficacy of novel pharmacological and behavioral treatments for cocaine and methamphetamine use disorders. He is also interested in cancer prevention as it relates to smoking cessation research, and is evaluating the neurobiological and behavioral effects of electronic cigarettes in cigarette smokers. Techniques used include behavioral assays, physiological measures, virtual reality/cue-reactivity, and neuroimaging. He has published over 100 peer-reviewed articles and several book chapters.
- Verrico CD, Mahoney JJ 3rd, Thompson-Lake DG, Bennett RS, Newton TF, De La Garza R 2nd.. "Safety and efficacy of varenicline to reduce positive subjective effects produced by methamphetamine in methamphetamine-dependent volunteers.." Int J Neuropsychopharmacol.. 2014 February Pubmed PMID: 24393456
- De La Garza R 2nd, Galloway GP, Newton TF, Mendelson J, Haile CN, Dib E, Hawkins RY, Chen CY, Mahoney JJ 3rd, Mojsiak J, Lao G, Anderson A, Kahn R.. "Evaluation of the dopamine beta-hydroxylase (DβH) inhibitor nepicastat in participants who meet criteria for cocaine use disorder." Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry.. 2015 Pubmed PMID: 24316175
- Yoon JH, Shah RS, Arnoudse NM, De La Garza R 2nd. "Remote physiological monitoring of acute cocaine exposure." J Med Eng Technol. 2014 July Pubmed PMID: 24841843
- Spellicy CJ, Harding MJ, Hamon SC, Mahoney JJ 3rd, Reyes JA, Kosten TR, Newton TF, De La Garza R 2nd, Nielsen DA. "A variant in ANKK1 modulates acute subjective effects of cocaine: a preliminary study." Genes Brain Behav. 2014 July Pubmed PMID: 24528631
- Kalechstein AD, Mahoney JJ 3rd, Verrico CD, De La Garza R 2nd. "Short-term, low-dose varenicline administration enhances information processing speed in methamphetamine-dependent users." Neuropharmacology. 2014 October Pubmed PMID: 24930359
- Verrico, C.D., Haile, C.N., Mahoney, III, J.J., Thompson-Lake, D.G.Y., Newton, T.F., De La Garza R 2nd. "Treatment with modafinil and escitalopram, alone and in combination, on cocaine-induced effects: A randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled human laboratory study." Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 August Pubmed PMID: 24928479
- Savjani, R.R., Velasquez, K.M., Thompson-Lake, D.G.Y., Eagleman, D.M., De La Garza, II, R., Salas, R.. "Characterizing white matter changes in cigarette smokers via diffusion tensor imaging.." Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 December Pubmed PMID: 25457737
- Wesley MJ, Lohrenz T, Koffarnus MN, McClure SM, De La Garza R 2nd, Salas R, Thompson-Lake DG, Newton TF, Bickel WK, Montague PR.. "Choosing money over drugs: the neural underpinnings of difficult choice in chronic cocaine users." J. Addiction. 2014 Pubmed PMID: 25197609
- Thompson-Lake, D.G.Y., Cooper, K.N., Mahoney, III, J.J., Bordnick, P.S., Salas, R., Kosten, T.R., Dani, J.A., De La Garza, II, R.. "Virtual reality cue-induced craving and withdrawal in abstinent cigarette smokers." Nicotine & Tobacco Research. 2015 Pubmed PMID: 25475087
- Christodoulides, N., De La Garza, II, R., Simmons, G.W., McRae, M.P., Wong, J., et al. and McDevitt, J.T.. "Application of programmable bio-nano-chip system for the quantitative detection of drugs of abuse in oral fluids." 2015 Pubmed PMID: 26048639
- De La Garza R 2nd, Yoon JH, Thompson-Lake DG, Haile CN, Eisenhofer JD, Newton TF, Mahoney JJ 3rd. "Treadmill exercise improves fitness and reduces craving and use of cocaine in individuals with concurrent cocaine and tobacco-use disorder." Psychiatry Res.. 2016 August 9;245:133-140. Pubmed PMID: 27541349
- Mahoney JJ, Kalechstein AD, De Marco AP, Newton TF, De La Garza R. "The relationship between premorbid IQ and neurocognitive functioning in individuals with cocaine use disorders." Neuropsychology. 2017 March;3:311-318. Pubmed PMID: 28054825
- Shorter DI, Nielsen DA, Hamon SC, Nielsen EM, Kosten TR, Newton TF, De La Garza R 2nd. "The α-1 adrenoceptor (ADRA1A) genotype moderates the magnitude of acute cocaine-induced subjective effects in cocaine-dependent individuals." Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2016 September;26(9):428-35. Pubmed PMID: 27379509
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence
- CPDD seeks to advance the understanding of molecular-neurobiological aspects of addictive disorders and, by the application of new scientific knowledge, to improve and develop treatments utilizing novel behavioral and pharmacological therapies.
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
- ACNP is the nation's premier professional society in brain, behavior, and psychopharmacology research.
- Society for Research on Nicotine & Tobacco
- The mission of the Society is to stimulate the generation of new knowledge concerning nicotine in all its manifestations - from molecular to societal.
- National Hispanic Science Network
- NHSN is dedicated to improving the health equity of Hispanics by Increasing the amount, quality, and dissemination of interdisciplinary translational research and Fostering the development and advancement of Hispanic scientists to promote future leaders.