- Associate Professor
- Department of Neuroscience
- Baylor College of Medicine
- TX, Houston
- Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, Texas, United States
- BS from University of the Republic
- MS from Pierre et Marie Curie University
- PhD from University of Nantes
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship at McGill University
- Cellular and molecular mechanism of memory storage
Memory is essential for the survival of all organisms: for humans, it forms the core of our identity. My laboratory’s primary aim is to understand the neurobiological basis of long-term memory formation. We seek to understand what happens in the brain when a memory is formed and more specifically how a labile short-term memory becomes a stable long-term memory. Disorders of learning and memory can strike the brain of individuals during development (e.g., Autism Spectrum Disorder or Down syndrome), as well as during adulthood (e.g., Alzheimer’s disease). We are also interested in understanding the specific circuits and/or molecular pathways that are primarily targeted in cognitive disorders and how they can be restored. To tackle these questions, we use a multidisciplinary, convergent and cross-species approach that combines mouse and fly genetics, molecular biology, electrophysiology, imaging, stem cell biology, optogenetics and behavioral techniques.
- Costa-Mattioli M, Gobert D, Stern E, Gamache K, Colina R, Cuello C, Sossin W, Kaufman R, Pelletier J, Rosenblum K, Krnjevic K, Lacaille JC, Nader K, Sonenberg N. "eIF2alpha phosphorylation bidirectionally regulates the switch from short- to long-term synaptic plasticity and memory.." Cell. 2007 April 6;129(1):195-206. Pubmed PMID: 17418795
- Costa-Mattioli M, Sossin WS, Klann E, Sonenberg N. "Translational control of synaptic plasticity and memory.." Neuron. 2009 January 15;61(1):10-26. Pubmed PMID: 19146809
- Stoica L, Zhu PJ, Huang W, Zhou H, Kozma SC, Costa-Mattioli M. "Selective pharmacogenetic inhibition of mammalian target of Rapamycin complex I (mTORC1) blocks long-term synaptic plasticity and memory storage.." Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011 March 1;108(9):3791-6. Pubmed PMID: 21307309
- Zhu PJ, Huang W, Kalikulov D, Yoo JW, Placzek AN, Stoica L, Zhou H, Bell JC, Friedlander MJ, Krnjevic K, Noebels JL, Costa-Mattioli M. "Suppression of PKR Promotes Network Excitability and Enhanced Cognition by Interferon-γ-Mediated Disinhibition." Cell. 2011 December 9;147(6):1384-96. Pubmed PMID: 22153080
- Huang W, Zhu PJ, Zhang S, Zhou H, Stoica L, Galiano M, Krnjevic K, Roman G, Costa-Mattioli M. "mTORC2 controls actin polymerization required for consolidation of long-term memory.." Nat. Neurosci.. 2013 April;16(4):441-8. Pubmed PMID: 23455608
- Costa-Mattioli M, Monteggia LM. "mTOR complexes in neurodevelopmental and neuropsychiatric disorders." Nat Neurosc. 2013 November;16(11):1537-43. Pubmed PMID: 24165680
- Costa-Mattioli M.. "Switching memories ON and OFF." Science. 2008 November;322:874-875.
- Buffington S, Huang W, Costa-Mattioli M.. "Translational regulatory mechanism in synaptic plasticity and memory storage." Ann Rev Neurosci. 2014;37:17-38.
- Viana Di Prisco G, Huang W, Buffington SA, Hsu C-C, Bonnen P, Placzek A, Sidrauski C, Krnjević K, Kaufman RJ, Walter P, Costa-Mattioli M.. "Translational control of hippocampal mGluR-dependent long-term depression and object-place learning by eIF2." Nat Neuroscience. 2014;8:1073-82.
- Costa-Mattioli, M., Gobert, D., Harding, H., Herdy, B., Azzi, M., Bruno, M., Bidinosti, M., Ben Mamou, C., Marcinkiewicz, E., Yoshida, M., et al.. "Translational control of hippocampal synaptic plasticity and memory by the eIF2alpha kinase GCN2." Nature. 2005(436):1166-1173.