Manish I. Shah, MD, MS
Manish I. Shah, MD, MS
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Texas Children's Hospital (Hospital)
6621 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (832) 824-5497
- Residency at Boston Children's Hospital
- 06/2004 - Boston, Massachusetts United States
- MD from University Of California, Irvine
- 06/2001 - Irvine, California United States
- BS from University Of California, Davis
- 03/1997 - Davis, California United States
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hospital
- 06/2007 - Houston, Texas United States
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- MS from University of Texas, Houston--Health Sciences Center
- 05/2015 - Houston, Texas United States
- Clinical Research
- American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Pediatric Prehospital Care
Professional StatementI have dedicated my career to improving pediatric prehospital care on local, statewide, national, and international levels through advocacy, education, and research. As an appointed member of the National Emergency Medical Services Advisory Council (NEMSAC) from 2015-2017 and chair of the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) subcommittee for the American Academy of Pediatrics Section of Emergency Medicine from 2011-2014, I collaborated with stakeholders on nationally significant issues in pediatric prehospital care. I have obtained several grants to conduct educational research involving the development of an online EMS educational resource for physicians, creation of the Pediatric Simulation Training of Emergency Prehospital Providers (PediSTEPPs) program at Texas Children’s Hospital (TCH), and development of an EMS training curriculum for the Botswana Ministry of Health. I have advocated for enhanced pediatric capabilities of EMS systems and conducted health services research through leadership positions as the Director of the EMS for Children (EMSC) State Partnership in Texas from 2009-2017, the lead for the Prehospital and State Partnership domains for the national EMSC Innovation and Improvement Center (EIIC) from 2016-2018, and the Co-Chair of the Assessment Subcommittee for the National Prehospital Pediatric Readiness Project since 2019. My primary research interest focuses on integration of pediatric evidence into EMS protocols. Since 2013, I have been the site Principal Investigator (PI) for the Charlotte, Houston, and Milwaukee Prehospital (CHaMP) research node of the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). I have also been the PI for two federal grants to study outcomes after implementation of evidence-based pediatric guidelines in large EMS systems in Texas and/or statewide EMS systems in New England. These evidence-based guidelines have been nationally disseminated through integration in the National Association of State EMS Officials (NASEMSO) Model Clinical EMS Guidelines. I am excited to lead a 5-year National Institutes of Health (NIH)-funded study in PECARN to optimize pediatric dosing for seizures in EMS.
CHaMP is a node of the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). CHaMP is composed of three diverse EMS agencies, located in Charlotte NC, Milwaukee WI, and Houston TX. By collaborating with Emergency Medical Services (EMS) agencies and first responders in three distinct areas of the nation, CHaMP guarantees that its focus and objectives maintain relevance and importance in an area of medicine where every second counts. The CHaMP investigators are dedicated to conducting research to optimize medical care for children in the prehospital setting. Together, investigators and health care providers aim to deliver studies, training, and education in pediatric emergency medicine.
Seizures are one of the most common reasons why bystanders call an ambulance for a child, and under-dosing and delayed delivery of seizure-stopping medication creates a situation where many children arrive at emergency departments still seizing. Reducing the respiratory failure and brain damage that ongoing seizures cause requires equipping paramedics with a simplified method for rapidly determining and administering a therapeutic dose of medication. Pediatric Dose Optimization for Seizures in Emergency Medical Services (PediDOSE) is a research study focused on improving how pediatric seizures are treated on ambulances. If this study demonstrates that standardized, age-based midazolam dosing is both safe and more effective than current practice, the potential impact of this study is a paradigm shift in the treatment of pediatric seizures that can be easily implemented in emergency medical services systems across the country.
- Shah MI, Macias CG, Dayan PS, Weik TS, Brown KM, Fuchs SM, Fallat ME, Wright, JL, Lang ES "An Evidence-Based Guideline for Pediatric Prehospital Seizure Management Using GRADE Methodology." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2014 Jan;18(1):15-24. Pubmed PMID: 24298939
- Fortescue EB, Shin AY, Greenes DS, Mannix RC, Agarwal S, Feldman BJ, Shah MI, Rifai N, Landzberg MJ, Newburger JW, Almond CS "Cardiac troponin increases among runners in the Boston Marathon.." Ann Emerg Med. 2007 Feb;49(2):137-43, 143.e1. Pubmed PMID: 17145114
- Carey JM and Shah MI "Pediatric Prehospital Seizure Management." Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine. 2014 Mar;15(1):59-65.
- Shah, MI "Prehospital Management of Pediatric Trauma." Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine. 2010 Mar;11(1):10-17.
- Shah MI, Caviness AC, and Mendez DR "Prospective Pilot Derivation of a Decision Tool for Children at Low Risk for Testicular Torsion." Acad Emerg Med. 2013 Mar;20(2):271-278. Pubmed PMID: 23517259
- Ngo TL, Belli K, Shah MI. "EMSC Program Manager Survey on Education of Prehospital Providers." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2014 Jul;18(3):424-428. Pubmed PMID: 24548019
- Doughty CB, Pearson N, Mondragon J, Arnold JL, Ngo TL, Shah MI. "Simulation-Based Pediatric Resuscitation Curriculum for Pre-hospital Providers." MedEd PORTAL. 2014 Nov;
- Brown KM, Macias CG, Dayan PS, Shah MI, Weik TS, Wright JL, Lang ES "The Development of Evidence-Based Prehospital Guidelines Using a GRADE-Based Methodology." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2014 Jan;18(1):3-14. Pubmed PMID: 24279739
- Lerner EB, Drendel AL, Falcone RA, Weitze KC, Badaway MK, Cooper A, Cushman JT, Drayna PC, Gourlay DM, Gray MP, Shah MI, Shah MN "A Consensus-Based Criterion Standard Definition for Pediatric Patients Who Needed the Highest Level Trauma Team Activation." Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2015;78(3):634-638. Pubmed PMID: 25710438
- Browne LR, Shah MI, Studnek JR, Farrell BM, Mattrisch LM, Reynolds S, Ostermayer DG, Brousseau DC, Lerner EB "2015 Pediatric Research Priorities in Prehospital Care." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2016; Pubmed PMID: 26808233
- Browne LR, Studnek JR, Shah MI, Brousseau DC, Guse CE, Lerner EB "Prehospital Opioid Administration in the Emergency Care of Injured Children." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2016 Jan;20(1):59-65. Pubmed PMID: 26727339
- Miller JO, Thammasitboon S, Hsu DC, Shah MI, Minard CG, Graf JM "Continuing Medical Education for Air Medical Providers: The Successes and Challenges." Pediatric Emergency Care. 2016;32(2):87-92. Pubmed PMID: 26841111
- Browne LR, Shah MI, Studnek JR, Ostermayer DG, Reynolds S, Guse C, Brousseau DC, Lerner EB "Multicenter Evaluation of Prehospital Opioid Pain Management in Children." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2016;20(6):759-767. Pubmed PMID: 27411064
- Ayub EM, Sampayo EM, Shah MI, Doughty CB "Prehospital Providers’ Perceptions on Providing Patient and Family Centered Care." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2017;21(2):233-241. Pubmed PMID: 27858502
- Glomb NW, Shah MI, Cruz AT "Prioritising Minimum Standards of Emergency Care for Children in Resource-Limited Settings." Paediatrics and International Child Health. 2016;37(2):116-120. Pubmed PMID: 27679955
- Remick K, Gross T, Adelgais K, Shah MI, Leonard JC, Gausche-Hill M "Resource Document: Coordination of Pediatric Emergency Care in EMS Systems." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2017;21(3):399-407.
- Shah MI, Carey JM, Rapp SE, Masciale M, Alcanter WB, Mondragon JA, Camp EA, Prater SJ, Doughty CB "Impact of High-Fidelity Pediatric Simulation on Paramedic Seizure Management." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2016;20(4):499-507. Pubmed PMID: 26953677
- Hathcock A, Shah MI, Dietrich JE, Sampayo EM "A Rare Cause of Pelvic Pain in a Teenage Girl." Journal of Education and Teaching in Emergency Medicine. 2018;3(3):V18-19.
- Kosoko AA, Glomb NW, Saha S, Rus MC, Shah MI, Galapi C, Laba B, Doughty CB "A Simulation-Based Course for Prehospital Providers in a Developing Emergency Medical Response System." Journal of Education and Teaching in Emergency Medicine. 2019;4(4):195-311.
- Woods R, Shah MI, Doughty CB, Gilchrest AD "A Survey of Restraint Methods for the Safe Transport of Children in Ground Ambulances." Pediatric Emergency Care. 2018;34(3):149-153. Pubmed PMID: 29494459
- Studnek JR, Lerner EB, Shah MI, Browne LR, Brousseau DC, Cushman JT, Dayan PS, Drayna PC, Drendel AL, Gray MP, Kahn CA, Meyer MT, Shah MN, Stanley RM "Consensus-Based Criterion Standard for the Identification of Pediatric Patients Who Need Emergency Medical Services Transport to a Hospital with Higher-Level Pediatric Resources." Academic Emergency Medicine. 2018;25(12):1409-1414. Pubmed PMID: 30281884
- Quinones C, Shah MI, Cruz AT, Graf JM, Mondragon JA, Camp EA, Reddy P, Sampayo EM "Determinants of Pediatric EMS Utilization in Children with High-Acuity Conditions." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2018;22(6):676-690. Pubmed PMID: 29565717
- Glomb NW, Shah MI, Kosoko AA, Doughty CB, Galapi C, Laba B, Rus MC "Educational Impact of a Pilot Paediatric Simulation-Based Training Course in Botswana." BMJ Simulation and Technology Enhanced Learning. 2020;6:279-283.
- Kosoko AA, Glomb NW, Laba B, Galapi C, Shah MI, Rus MC, Doughty CB "Evaluating a Novel Simulation Course for Prehospital Provider Resuscitation Training in Botswana." Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2019;20(5):731-739. Pubmed PMID: 31539330
- Chumpitazi CE, Caviness AC, Grawe GH, Camp EA, Shah MI "Evaluation of Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen for Pediatric Laceration Repair: A Randomized Trial." Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2020;145(1):126e-134e. Pubmed PMID: 31881621
- Cruz AT, Doughty CB, Hsu DC, Chumpitazi CE, Sampayo EM, Meskill SD, Shah MI "Focused Research Infrastructure for Postgraduate Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellows Increases Dissemination of Scholarly Work." Academic Emergency Medicine Education and Training. 2020;4(3):231-238.
- Ostermayer DG, Camp EA, Langabeer JR, Brown CA, Mondragon J, Persse DE, Shah MI "Impact of an Extraglottic Device on Pediatric Airway Management in an Urban Prehospital System." Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2019;20(6):962-969. Pubmed PMID: 31738725
- Nassif A, Ostermayer DG, Hoang KB, Claiborne MK, Camp EA, Shah MI "Implementation of a Prehospital Protocol Change for Asthmatic Children." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2018;22(4):457-465. Pubmed PMID: 29351496
- Marino MC, Ostermayer DG, Mondragon JA, Camp EA, Keating EM, Fornage LB, Brown CA, Shah MI "Improving Prehospital Protocol Adherence Using Bundled Educational Interventions." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2018;22(3):361-369. Pubmed PMID: 29364730
- Lerner EB, Studnek JR, Fumo N, Banerjee A, Arapi I, Browne LR, Ostermayer DG, Reynolds S, Shah MI "Multicenter Analysis of Transport Destinations for Pediatric Prehospital Patients." Academic Emergency Medicine. 2019;26(5):510-516. Pubmed PMID: 30343530
- Glomb NW, Kosoko AA, Doughty CB, Rus MC, Shah MI, Cox M, Galapi C, Parkes PS, Kumar S, Laba B "Needs Assessment for Simulation Training for Prehospital Providers in Botswana." Prehospital and Disaster Medicine. 2018;33(6):621-626. Pubmed PMID: 30419999
- Carey JM, Studnek JR, Browne LR, Ostermayer DG, Grawey T, Schroter S, Lerner EB, Shah MI "Paramedic-Identified Enablers of and Barriers to Seizure Management: A Multicenter, Qualitative Study." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2019;23(6):870-881. Pubmed PMID: 30917730
- Herman MJ, Brown KO, Sponseller PD, Phillips JH, Petrucelli PM, Parikh DJ, Mody KS, Leonard JC, Moront M, Brockmeyer DL, Anderson RCE, Alder AC, Anderson JT, Bernstein RM, Booth TN, Braga BP, Cahill PJ, Joglar JM, Martus JE... Shah MI, Warner WC, Yaszay B "Pediatric Cervical Spine Clearance: A Consensus Statement and Algorithm from the Pediatric Cervical Spine Clearance Working Group." Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. 2019;101(1):e1. Pubmed PMID: 30601421
- Moore BR, Shah MI (co-lead author), Owusu-Ansah S, Gross T, Brown KM, Gausche-Hill M, Remick K, Adelgais K, Lyng J, Rappaport L, Snow S, Wright-Johnson C, Leonard JC "Pediatric Readiness in Emergency Medical Services Systems; Policy Statement." Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2020;75(1):e1-e6. Pubmed PMID: 31866028
- Owusu-Ansah, Moore BR, Shah MI, Gross T, Brown K, Gausche-Hill M, Remick K, Adelgais K, Rappaport L, Snow S, Wright-Johnson C, Leonard JC, Lyng L, Fallat M "Pediatric Readiness in Emergency Medical Services Systems; Technical Report." Pediatrics. 2020;145(1) Pubmed PMID: 31857378
- Hewes HA, Ely M, Richards R, Shah MI, Busch S, Pilkey D, Hert KD, Olson LM "Ready for Children: Assessing Pediatric Care Coordination and Psychomotor Skills Evaluation in the Prehospital Setting." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2019;23(4):510-518. Pubmed PMID: 30380953
- Krennerich E, Sitler CG, Shah MI, Lam F, Graf J "Retrospective Review of Pediatric Transport: Where Do Our Patients Go After Transport?." Air Medical Journal. 2017;36(6):332-338. Pubmed PMID: 29132597
- Studnek JR, Browne LR, Shah MI, Fumo N, Hansen M, Lerner EB "Validity of the Pediatric Early Warning Score and the Bedside Pediatric Early Warning Score in Classifying Patients Who Require the Resources of a Higher Level Pediatric Hospital." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2019;Epub ahead of print. Pubmed PMID: 31339430
- Hansen M, Bosson N, Gausche-Hill M, Shah MI, VanBuren JM, Wendelberger B, Wang HE "Critical Factors in Planning a Pediatric Prehospital Airway Trial." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2021 May;Epub ahead of print Pubmed PMID: 33886422
- Shah MI, Ostermayer DG, Browne LR, Studnek JR, Carey JM, Stanford C, Fumo N, Lerner EB "Multicenter Evaluation of Prehospital Seizure Management in Children." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2020;Epub ahead of print Pubmed PMID: 32589502
- Powell JR, Browne LR, Guild K, Shah MI, Crowe RP, Lindbeck GH, Braithwaite SA, Lang ES, Panchal AR on behalf of the Technical Expert Panel "Evidence-Based Guidelines for Prehospital Pain Management: Literature and Methods." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2022;(Epub ahead of print):1-8. Pubmed PMID: 34928783
- Lindbeck GH, Shah MI, Braithwaite SA, Powell JR, Panchal AR, Browne LR, Lang ES, Burton B, Coughenour J, Crowe RP, Degn H, Hedges M, Gasper J, Guild K, Mattera C, Nasca S, Taillac P, Warth M. "Evidence-Based Guidelines for Prehospital Pain Management: Recommendations." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2022;(Epub ahead of print):1-10. Pubmed PMID: 34928760
- Hanlin ER, Chan HK, Hansen M, Wendelberger B, Shah MI, Bosson N, Gausche-Hill M, VanBuren JM, Wang HE "Epidemiology of Out-of-Hospital Pediatric Airway Management in the 2019 National Emergency Medical Services Information System Data Set." Resuscitation. 2022;173:124-133. Pubmed PMID: 35063620
- Harris MI, Adelgais KM, Linakis SW, Magill CF, Brazauskas R, Shah MI, Nishijima DK, Lowe GS, Chadha K, Chang TP, Lerner EB, Leonard JC, Schwartz HP, Gaither JB, Studnek JR, Browne LR. "Impact of Prehospital Pain Management on Emergency Department Management of Injured Children." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2021;(Epub ahead of print):1-9. Pubmed PMID: 34734787
- Bosson N, Hansen M, Gausche-Hill M, Lewis RJ, Wendelberger B, Shah MI, VanBuren JM, Wang HE "Design of a Novel Clinical Trial of Prehospital Pediatric Airway Management." Clinical Trials. 2022;19(1):62-70. Pubmed PMID: 34875893
- Mulcrone AE and Shah MI "Pediatric Hard Palate Lesion: A Case of an Embedded Foreign Body." Visual Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2021;25:Article 101131.
- Schmucker KA, Camp EA, Jones JL, Ostermayer DG, Shah MI "Factors Associated with Destination of Pediatric EMS Transports." American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2021;50:360-364. Pubmed PMID: 34455256
- Lerner EB, , Browne LR, Studnek JR, Mann NC, Dai M, Hoffman CK, Pilkey D, Adelgais KM, Brown KM, Gaither JB, Leonard JC, Martin-Gill C, Nishijima DK, Owusu-Ansah S, Shah ZS, Shah MI "A Novel Use of NEMSIS to Create a PECARN-specific EMS Patient Registry." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2021;(Epub ahead of print):1-8. Pubmed PMID: 34232828
- Glomb NW, Rus MC, Kosoko AA, Saha S, Murphy K, Doughty CB, Galapi C, Laba B, Shah MI "Pediatric Simulation-Based Prehospital Training Course in Botswana." Journal of Education and Teaching in Emergency Medicine. 2021;6(3):C64-189.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Member (07/2005)
- National Association of EMS Physicians
- Member (06/2010)
- Charlotte, Houston, and Milwaukee Prehospital (CHaMP) Research Node of the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN) - #U03MC33154
- $428,394.00 (09/01/2019 - 08/31/2023) Grant funding from Health Resources and Services Administration
- Site principal investigator for a multi-center pediatric emergency care research network.
- Pediatric Dose Optimization for Seizures in EMS (PediDOSE) - #U01 NS114042-01A1
- $10,546,767.00 (08/01/2021 - 07/31/2026) Grant funding from National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
- Principal Investigator
Log In to edit your profile