The Occupational Health Program maintains employment related health records for students and employees of Baylor College of Medicine. You can log on to view a copy of your record. If you experience difficulty with logging in, try a different browser.
If you are a patient of Baylor and need to request your records, OHP does not maintain these records. Requests should be sent to: ROI@bcm.edu or fax (713) 798-1464
If you are a former employee or student, you can submit a request using the release form below. We will contact you if there is fee associated with this. Typically, duplicate or multiple requests will be charged a fee.
Release of Medical Records form for Baylor College of Medicine students and employees
Completed forms for Baylor students and employees can be faxed to 713-798-3364 or emailed firstname.lastname@example.org (Do not send the forms here if you are requesting records on a patient of BCM. Follow the instructions above.)
If you need records to go to a new employer, school, hospital credentials, etc., we strongly recommend that you receive the records from us and then provide them to that entity. Although we will send the records directly to them, once we have sent the records, we are finished with the request. There is little we can do if the receiving party says they did not receive them.
Frequently Asked Questions
What information do you need to release my records?
- Name of person whose records are to be released
- Signature of person, or their Legal Representative, whose information is to be released.
- Name of person or entity to whom information is to be released
- Instructions on how records should be delivered (e.g., mail, pickup, facsimile)
- Method to contact requestor if there are any questions
- Reason for requesting records
Additional information requested:
- Date of birth
- BCM ID #
- Approximate dates of employment
- Other names used by the employee
Name to whom released: This should be reasonably specific, either a specific individual's name or title (e.g., Director of Employee Health). The name can be that of an entity, rather than an individual as long as it is represents a department or group. Thus "ABC College Health Center" is acceptable rather than "ABC College." OHP does not typically release records to BCM departments, even with a signed authorization.
Instructions for release: Records can be sent via US Mail or facsimile. Alternatively, records can be picked up in person. OHP does not hand deliver records and expedited shipping (e.g., FedEx, Priority Mail) is not available.
Method to contact requestor: This helps answer questions we have if we are unclear about your request or helps to find your record.
Reason for request: OHP does not evaluate the merit of the reason for the request; the Texas Occupations Code requires this.
How long will it take to receive my medical records?
On average, 3-7 business days.
Can I get my records more quickly than this?
- Record requests are processed as quickly as possible.
- Because records are maintained in different locations and in different media, it is difficult to determine how long it will take to complete a request. Some requests are completed in two business days and some in ten business days
- If it becomes obvious that a request will be delayed, OHP will notify the requestor.
- The director of Occupational Health should be contacted if there is a medically urgent reason for an immediate release. (713) 798-7880.
- Deadlines for fellowships, employment, immigration or travel are not considered emergencies.
How do I check the status of my records request?
- If the records are to be picked up, OHP will notify the requestor when they are ready.
- If a delay is anticipated in releasing the records (e.g., records cannot be found), OHP will contact the requestor.
- Records will be sent according to the instructions on the request. However, OHP strongly recommends that records be released to the requestor rather than to a third party.
- Why? See release of records information page.
How long does OHP maintain my records?
- Records of employees are maintained for at least 30 years.
- Records of students are maintained for at least the duration of their enrollment.
- Records of visitors, observers and elective students are maintained for at least the duration of their stay.
- This retention practice can change in the future.