Zoom and Other Recording Technologies
Summary: This policy addresses the governance of communications where participants can share live audio, video and their computer/device displays with each other.
Approving Authority: Office of Information Technology – Enterprise Technology
Last Updated: April 29, 2019
Purpose: The purpose of this governance is to ensure the appropriate consideration for privacy in the recording of videoconferences.
Scope: This governance applies to all Zoom, Skype, Spark and other videoconferences recording technologies sponsored or hosted by Baylor College of Medicine.
- Videoconferencing/Recording Technologies
Method of communication that combines video conferencing, online meetings, chat, and mobile collaboration where participants can share live audio, video, and their computer/device displays with each other. This covers vendors and services used by Baylor College of Medicine for videoconferencing.
The Digital Governance Subcommittee is responsible for reviewing requests. The Baylor College of Medicine Office of Information Technology is responsible for enabling recording capabilities on videoconferencing recording systems.
Users are responsible for ensuring they follow guidelines as outlined.
The Office of Communications and Community Outreach will review all recorded or captured sessions prior to publication or sharing with a general audience.
As a matter of compliance and policy, Zoom and other videoconferencing recordings are disabled by default per user or access number.
Requests to enable Zoom or other videoconferencing recordings may be submitted to the Digital Governance Committee at Digital-Governance@bcm.edu and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Compliance guidelines for successful Zoom or other videoconferencing recording are:
- Recordings must not include material that would be considered having Protected Health Information (PHI) or Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Recordings may be only stored on BCM assets (i.e. desktop/notebook, Department Share Drive, Home Drive, etc.)
- Recordings are not to be distributed outside of BCM without the approval of the Digital Governance Committeer and review by the Office of Communications and Community Outreach.
- Recording takes place on the host computer, not the cloud. The video file downloads automatically after the meeting ends, and can take a considerable amount of time and hard drive space to save.
- Zoom automatically records audio plus video as an mp4 file. Audio-only recording is not available.
- Currently, recorded videos can be made publically available if submitted to and approved by the Office of Communications and Community Outreach.
- Please see our knowledge article on Recording and Distributing Video Content.
*Note: Policies cited in the Digital Governance document (approved by the Board and published in April 2019) supersede any previous agreement, policy and/or guideline.