The Academic General Pediatric Fellowship Program at Baylor College of Medicine is a three-year accredited program that combines training in research methodology, educational scholarship, multiple teaching opportunities in a variety of settings, and the refinement of clinical skills. The fellowship offers three individualized curricular tracks with 70 percent of the fellow’s time dedicated to research, teaching, advocacy and leadership training. The remaining 30 percent of time is spent precepting medical students and residents. The training for each track is three years in length. All fellows will complete either a Masters in Public Health or a Masters in Education.
Educational Scholarship and Leadership Track
This track will provide knowledge and skills for academic jobs in educational leadership and scholarship:
- Obtain a Masters in Education and complete a Master Teacher Fellowship Training Program
- Become a “scholar-in-residence” at the Center for Research, Innovation and - Scholarship in Medical Education
- Work alongside leading educators in the field of pediatrics and having access to a full time statistician, medical writers/editors and numerous educational projects.
- Opportunities in faculty development, residency and medical student education as well as continuing medical education at the local and national level.
- Acquire skills in medical education research, leadership skills and practical experience in developing curricula, creating evaluation tools, and integrating technology into teaching across the educational continuum.
Global Health Leadership and Research Track
Since the development of the Baylor Pediatric International Aids Initiative (BIPAI), Baylor pediatrics has led the way in global health training. This track is designed to prepare fellows for leadership positions in global pediatric health care, pediatric education and training, clinical research and child advocacy.
- Clinical research opportunities focused on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, malnutrition and other conditions impacting the health and well being of children and families worldwide.
- Diploma Course in Tropical Medicine (optional)
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene approved course in travel and tropical medicine (resulting in eligibility to sit for certification examination).
- International experience (optional) - Six months over the course of the fellowship
- Clinical experiences precepting learners in diverse community-based clinics that address the needs of underserved communities.
Health Services Research Track
Baylor offers a fundamentally unique environment for addressing the future of child health and health policy.
- An emphasis on underserved populations and a division research portfolio consisting of NIH funded studies on health disparities, obesity, and children with special health care needs.
- Faculty mentors who have expertise in health services research and behavioral interventions.
- Access to large local data sources including the Texas Children’s Immunization Project and Texas Children’s Health Plan.*
* Texas Children’s Immunization Project is a nationally recognized center focused on improving pediatric immunization rates, and Texas Children’s Health Plan is the largest insurance provider for children with Medicaid and CHIP in Houston, Texas.
Fellows College is an innovative and collaborative approach to address the ACGME nonclinical skills required for subspecialty training. It was implemented at Baylor College of Medicine in 2011. The program has expanded from approximately 11 sessions in the first year to now about two sessions per month.
Expanded curricular opportunities provided by Fellows' College, help to prepare subspecialty fellows for their future careers. Furthermore, fellows have a wider range of opportunities to network and interact with an extended community of learners and leaders participating in Fellows' College.
For further information about the Fellows’ College curriculum, visit the Pediatric Subspecialty Fellows’ College website.
Maintaining your physical and emotional wellness is a prerequisite to professional success. Our fellows have access to a number of programs to support their well-being. Visit our student wellness resources webpage for information.