Using Genetics to Make Personal Care Plans for Children with Developmental Disabilities and Autism
Presenter: Dr. Daryl Scott, associate professor of molecular and human genetics, Baylor College of Medicine
April 12, 2019
The seminar was presented and recorded thanks to the support by the University of Texas: Texas Center for Disability Studies and the Department of State Health Services.
Seizures and Epilepsy in Children: Advances in Genetics and Treatment Part I
Presenter: Dr. Angus Wilfong, Director, Comprehensive Epilepsy Program, Blue Bird Circle Clinic for Pediatric Neurology, Texas Children's Hospital
Nov. 10, 2015
Seizures and Epilepsy in Children: Advances in Genetics and Treatment Part 2
Presenter: Dr. Carlos Bacino, Chief, Genetics Service, Texas Children's Hospital
Nov. 10, 2015
Puberty and Sexual Development in Teens with Disabilities
Presenter: Dr. Adiaha Spinks-Franklin, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine
Oct. 13, 2015
The Genetics of Autism Spectrum Disorder
Presenter: Christian Schaaf, M.D., Ph.D.
- Identify individuals with autism spectrum disorder who should undergo genetic testing
- Describe diagnostic tests that would be considered first or second tier in the evaluation of ASD
- Become comfortable explaining the benefit of genetic testing in the context of ASD to families
- Know when to consult a clinical geneticist in the care of individuals with ASD
This teleconference was sponsored by Baylor College of Medicine / Texas Children's Hospital and was possible thanks to funds from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Should You Have Your Whole Genome Sequenced?
Presenter: Richard Gibbs, Ph.D.
Sept. 17, 2013
Children with Chromosomal Disorders: New Tests Guide Management, Treatment and Counseling
Presenters: Dr. Lorraine Potocki and Susan Fernbach, RN, BSN
Aug. 8, 2013
Genetics and Care for Children with Congenital Heart Defects
Presenters: Dr. John Belmont and Susan Fernbach, RN, BSN
Aug. 1, 2013
This seminar was offered to enhance the healthcare of children with Congenital Heart Defects in the area of genetics by incorporating new knowledge around the process of the genetic evaluation, current treatment, and resources available to improve identification and care of children who would benefit from a genetic evaluation.
Videos on BioEd OnlineSM
- Parental Stress When Your Child has A Developmental Disorder: Helpful Tips and Coping Strategies (May 2010)
- Ten reasons to talk about sleep when your child has a developmental disorder (April 2010)
- New Insights into Autism (Part 1) (June 2009)
- New Insights into Autism (Part 2) (June 2009)
- Rett Syndrome, The Continued Search for Answers (June 2009)
- Down Syndrome: Medical Issues and Management (August 2009)
- Down Syndrome: Behavior, Rarities and Sexuality (August 2009)
- Down Syndrome: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words (August 2009)