Award Presentation and Lecture
The award presentation and lecture will be on February 22, 2024 at 12pm CST in Houston, TX.
About the Award and Lectureship
The Baylor College of Medicine Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, the Houston Methodist Hospital System, and the Rice University Department of Philosophy are pleased to renew this international $10,000 award and named lectureship in Baruch Brody’s memory. This award recognizes scholars who have made important theoretical contributions to the field of bioethics. This award honors someone in the field who embodies the values and virtues that were central to Dr. Brody’s scholarly life and work at the three sponsoring institutions.
Successful applicants will have:
- Made rigorous, philosophically-informed, conceptual contributions to the field of bioethics that are of clinical and practical import
- Demonstrated leadership in, and commitment to, the field of bioethics
- Been appointed to a faculty appointment at an academic institution
- $10,000 award (SSN or ITIN required)
- Spending three days as a Visiting Scholar at the Baylor College of Medicine Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, offering an opportunity to build collaborations at Houston Methodist Hospital System and Rice University Department of Philosophy (e.g., deliver various one-off talks, one on one meetings with faculty, etc.)
Nominations for 2023-2024
Nominations for the 2023-2024 Award and Lecture are open June 5 to July 20, 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.
Nominees must submit a nomination packet consisting of the following:
- Nomination form: To be completed by the nominee (link to form below)
- Nominee publication: A piece of scholarship (i.e., an academic paper) published in the last 1-3 years that demonstrates strong conceptual/normative/philosophical work that has or should have significant practical impact on clinical practice or policy. Papers must have been published from 2019 to the present (this includes accepted and in press). Nominee must be the single author or first author of the publication
- A 500 word personal statement that describes (1) the main important conceptual contribution in your paper and its significance for clinical practice, clinical research, and/or policy, and (2) how you would extend the thoughts in the paper in your public lecture (for a broad audience including practicing clinicians, philosophers, bioethicists, etc.) were you to win the award
- Nominee CV
The nomination packet, comprised of the items listed above, should be compiled into a single PDF document and sent to email@example.com. Nomination packets are due July 20, 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.
The Selection Committee members will video interview the top three candidates and choose an award recipient.
- Jennifer Blumenthal-Barby, Ph.D., M.A., Cullen Professor of Medical Ethics, Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, Baylor College of Medicine
- Rabbi Shlomo Brody, Ph.D., The Tikvah Fund
- Janet Malek, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, Baylor College of Medicine; Director, Houston Methodist Biomedical Ethics Program
- Laurence McCullough, Ph.D., Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Zucker School of Medicine of Hofstra/Northwell; Distinguished Emeritus Professor, Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, Baylor College of Medicine
- Amy McGuire, J.D., Ph.D., Leon Jaworski Professor of Biomedical Ethics and Director, Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, Baylor College of Medicine
- Charles Millikan, D. Min., Vice President for Spiritual Care and Values Integration, Houston Methodist Hospital
- Samuel Reis-Dennis, Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy, Rice University
About Dr. Brody
Learn more about Dr. Brody. If you are interested in contributing to the Baruch A. Brody Lecture in Bioethics or the Baruch A. Brody Outstanding Student Award, given to Baylor Medical Ethics Pathway students whose capstone projects best demonstrate ways to apply ethical thinking to medical settings and situations, visit the donation page.