NOTICE: The Undiagnosed Diseases Center at Baylor College of Medicine does not provide emergency or urgent care. If you are experiencing urgent medical problems, please consult your regular medical providers or go to your local emergency room/urgent care facility.
Who may benefit from an evaluation with the BCM Undiagnosed Diseases Center
- Individuals with ongoing medical problems that remain undiagnosed despite evaluations by multiple specialists
- Individuals with a known diagnosis, but who have unusually severe symptoms (and sometimes with family history) of the condition
- Adults and children
How do I apply to be evaluated by the BCM Undiagnosed Diseases Center?
NOTICE: Pending regulatory guidance, we currently cannot accept residents outside of the United States as Consultagene account holders.
Complete the following steps to request an evaluation with the BCM UDC:
- Create a patient account in Consultagene. Consultagene is an online platform that provides educational resources, genetic counseling, and genetic services. Consultagene provides a secure location to share information about your medical and family history.
- Log into Consultagene and submit a self-referral request. Please make sure that "Undiagnosed Diseases Evaluation" is selected for the "clinic/program" field.
- We require a recommendation letter from a healthcare provider. You will have an opportunity to upload this letter as an attachment when completing the self-referral request. The letter should be written in English, signed, and on letterhead. A relative cannot write a recommendation letter. The recommendation letter must include:
- A summary of the applicant’s medical problems
- Date when symptoms were first noticed
- For pediatric patients: prenatal and birth history
- Previous diagnoses
- History of evaluations and testing
- History of treatments and medications
- Current medications
- Family history
- Health care provider’s diagnostic impressions
- Any additional summary medical information, tests, and/or notes that may supplement the above letter.
What happens after I apply?
The BCM UDC team completes an initial review of the self-referral. If your case is determined to be eligible for additional evaluation by the BCM UDC, you will be invited to provide additional medical records, which may be securely uploaded through the Consultagene platform.
Possible outcomes after the BCM UDC completes a review of the submitted records:
- There are no suggestions for additional testing because your previous evaluations have been thorough and appropriate.
- Additional tests or consultations are suggested for you to complete through your local healthcare provider, or if you wish by our local Baylor Medicine and/or Texas Children’s Hospital physicians. Suggestions may also include enrollment in other research studies.
- We offer acceptance in our “Undiagnosed Diseases Evaluation,” which may include a combination of evaluations at home, via telehealth, or in-person at the Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas.