- Baylor College of Medicine Medical Center 7200 Cambridge St., Suite 10B Houston, Texas 77030 United States (713) 798-4001
- Associate Professor
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, TX, US
- BA from Cornell University
- MD from Baylor College of Medicine
- Internship at University of Pennsylvania
- Residency at University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- Minimally Invasive Surgery/Endourology
- Board Certified
- American Board of Urology
Honors & Awards
- Top Doctor
- Fulbright and Jaworski LLP Faculty Excellence Award for Educational Leadership
- Dr. Mayer has been recognized for his outstanding efforts to advance Baylor’s mission, vision, and values and has been awarded the prestigious Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Excellence award for Educational Leadership.
- Fulbright and Jaworski LLP Faculty Excellence Award for Teaching and Evaluation
- Dr. Mayer has been recognized for his outstanding teaching efforts and has been awarded the prestigious Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Excellence award for Teaching and Evaluation.
- Selected as a “Top Urologist in Houston, TX”
- Outstanding Educational Efforts in Urology Award
- Howard Pollack Award for the Highest In-Service Score
- First Prize: AUA Mid-Atlantic Howard Pollack Pyelogram Hour
- Graduated with the “Highest Honor”
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- “High Honors” in Basic Sciences
- Academic Scholarship
- Graduated with “Distinction in All Subjects”
- Phi Beta Kappa Society
- Kaplan MCAT Teacher of the Semester
- National Premedical Honor Society
- Order of the Lamp Honor Society
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Golden Key Honor Society
- Dean’s List
- Endourology; Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Renal Mass
- Ureteral Obstruction
- Ureteral Obstruction
- Kidney Cancer
- Robotic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Prostate Cancer
- Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction
- Percutaneous Nephrostolithotomy
- Kidney Stones
- Renal Tumors
- Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Living Kidney Donor
- Donor Nephrectomy
- Single Site Laparoscopic Surgery
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Renal Cysts
- Kidney Surgery
- Ureteral Reconstruction
Dr. Wesley Mayer specializes in advanced minimally invasive surgical treatments for urologic diseases including robotic, laparoscopic (including single-site), endourologic, laser, and percutaneous surgery. He has a special interest in kidney cancer, kidney stones, upper urinary tract reconstruction, adrenal masses, and transplant urology. His other areas of expertise include the evaluation and treatment of elevated PSA, prostatic enlargement, and blood in the urine.
Dr. Mayer graduated from Baylor College of Medicine with highest honors. He completed his internship in general surgery and his urology residency at the University of Pennsylvania. He was fellowship-trained in minimally invasive urology in Baylor College of Medicine’s Scott Department of Urology.
Dr. Mayer has published research on robotic partial nephrectomy, single-site donor nephrectomy, and treatment of kidney stones. In addition to being an invited examiner for the American Urological Association's (AUA) Oral Board Review Course and a former instructor for the AUA’s Mentored Laparoscopy Course, he is currently Urology Residency Program Director. Dr. Mayer has been recognized for his outstanding teaching efforts and has been awarded the prestigious Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Excellence award for Teaching and Evaluation. He has been invited to serve on the Urology Milestones Working Group for the ACGME. Dr. Mayer has also been selected as a “Top Urologist in Houston, TX” in The Leading Physicians of the World.
- Kutikov A, Casale P, White MA, Mayer WA, Chang A, Gosalbez R, Canning DA. "Testicular compartment syndrome: A new approach to conceptualizing and managing testicular torsion.." Urology. 2008 October;72(4):786-789.
- Mayer WA, Resnick MJ, Canter D, Ramchandani P, Kutikov A, Harryhill JF, Carpiniello VL, Guzzo TJ. "Synchronous metastatic renal cell carcinoma to the genitourinary tract: Two rare case reports and a review of the literature.." Can J Urol. 2009 June;3(3):205-210.
- Mistry S, Mayer WA, Khavari R, Ayala G, Miles BJ. "Who’s too old to screen: Prostate cancer in elderly men.." Can Urol Assoc J. 2009 June;3(3):205-210.
- Mucksavage P, Mayer WA, Mandel J, Van Arsdalen KV. "High-frequency jet ventilation is beneficial during shock wave lithotripsy utilizing a newer unit with a narrower focal zone.." Can Urol Assoc J. 2010 October;4(5):333-335.
- Liao LM, Mayer WA, Kim M, Link RE. "Robot-assisted laparoscopic excision of a pelvic extragastrointestinal stromal tumor (EGIST): A case report and literature.." Can J Urol. 2011 June;18(3):5731-5734.
- Mayer WA, Godoy G, Choi JM, Goh AC, Bian SX, Link RE. "Higher RENAL nephrometry score is predictive of longer warm ischemia time and collecting system entry during laparoscopic and robotic-assisted partial nephrectomy.." Urology. 2012 May;79(5):1052-1056.
- Stamatakis L, Cheng PJ, Ho PL, Thrall MJ, Mayer WA, Miles BJ, Link RE. "A 60-year-old woman with an incidentally discovered right renal mass.." Urology. 2012 December;80(6):1183-1186.
- Stamatakis L, Mercado MA, Choi JM, Sanchez EJ, Gaber AO, Knight RJ, Mayer WA, Link RE. "Comparison of laparo-endoscopic single site (LESS) and conventional laparoscopic donor nephrectomy at a single institution.." BJU Int. 2013 July;112(2):198-206.
- Zhang ZY, Tang Q, Li XS, Zhang Q, Mayer WA, Wu JY, Yang XD, Zhang XC, Wang XY, Zhou LQ. "Clinical analysis of the PADUA and the RENAL scoring systems for renal neoplasms: A retrospective study of 245 patients undergoing laparoscopic partial nephrectomy.." Int J Urol. 2014 January;21(1):40-44.
- Mercado MA, Scovell JM, Hollander AB, Stamatakis L, Mathur S, Choi JM, Sanchez EJ, Mayer WA, Link RE. "Sub-fascial continuous local anesthesia decreases postoperative narcotic requirements following laparoendoscopic single site donor nephrectomy but increases cost and does not decrease length of stay.." J Anesth. 2015:in press..
- American Urological Association
- Harris County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Houston Academy of Medicine