- Associate Professor
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Assistant Dean
Graduate Medical Education
Baylor College of Medicine
- Vice Chair of Education
Baylor College of Medicine
- Residency Program Director
Baylor College of Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine Medical Center (Clinic)
7200 Cambridge St., Suite 10B
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 798-4001
- BA from Cornell University
- 05/2001 - Ithaca, New York United States
- MD from Baylor College of Medicine
- 05/2005 - Houston, Texas United States
- Internship at University of Pennsylvania
- 06/2006 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania United States
- Residency at University of Pennsylvania
- 06/2010 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania United States
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 06/2011 - Houston, Texas United States
- Minimally Invasive Surgery/Endourology
- Board Certified
- American Board of Urology
Honors & Awards
- Nominee for Teaching Award from the Residents and Fellows Committee
- American Urological Association (03/2020)
- Top Doctor
- Houstonia Magazine (08/2019 - 08/2021)
- Fulbright and Jaworski LLP Faculty Excellence Award for Educational Leadership
- Dr. Mayer has been recognized for his outstanding efforts to advance Baylor’s mission, vision, and values and has been awarded the prestigious Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Excellence award for Educational Leadership.
- Baylor College of Medicine (05/2019)
- Fulbright and Jaworski LLP Faculty Excellence Award for Teaching and Evaluation
- Dr. Mayer has been recognized for his outstanding teaching efforts and has been awarded the prestigious Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Excellence award for Teaching and Evaluation.
- Baylor College of Medicine (04/2018)
- Selected as a “Top Urologist in Houston, TX”
- The Leading Physicians of the World (01/2013)
- Outstanding Educational Efforts in Urology Award
- Howard Pollack Award for the Highest In-Service Score
- First Prize: AUA Mid-Atlantic Howard Pollack Pyelogram Hour
- American Urological Association (01/2008)
- Graduated with the “Highest Honor”
- Baylor College of Medicine (06/2005)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- “High Honors” in Basic Sciences
- Baylor College of Medicine (01/2003)
- Academic Scholarship
- Baylor College of Medicine (01/2002)
- Graduated with “Distinction in All Subjects”
- Cornell University (05/2001)
- Phi Beta Kappa Society
- Endourology; Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Renal Mass
- Ureteral Obstruction
- Kidney Cancer
- Robotic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction
- Percutaneous Nephrostolithotomy
- Kidney Stones
- Renal Tumors
- Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Living Kidney Donor
- Donor Nephrectomy
- Single Site Laparoscopic Surgery
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Renal Cysts
- Kidney Surgery
- Ureteral Reconstruction
- Adrenal Gland Masses
Professional StatementDr. Wesley A. Mayer is an Associate Professor of Urology, Urology Residency Program Director, and Vice Chair for Education of the Scott Department of Urology. He is also an Assistant Dean of Graduate Medical Education at Baylor College of Medicine. He graduated from Cornell University with Distinction and Baylor College of Medicine with Highest Honors. He completed his internship in general surgery and his urology residency at the University of Pennsylvania. He was fellowship-trained in advanced robotic, laparoscopic, and endoscopic surgery in Baylor College of Medicine’s Scott Department of Urology.
Dr. Mayer specializes in advanced minimally invasive surgical treatments for urologic diseases including robotic, laparoscopic (including single-site), endourologic, laser, and percutaneous surgery. He has a special interest in kidney cancer, kidney stones, upper urinary tract reconstruction, adrenal masses, and transplant urology. His other areas of expertise include the evaluation and treatment of elevated PSA, prostatic enlargement, and blood in the urine. Dr. Mayer has been selected as a “Top Urologist in Houston, TX” in The Leading Physicians of the World and a “Top Doc” in Houstonia Magazine (2019 and 2020). He has also published research on robotic partial nephrectomy, single-site donor nephrectomy, and treatment of kidney stones and has been invited to speak on these topics at several national conferences.
Dr. Mayer is an accomplished educator. He received prestigious Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Excellence awards for Educational Leadership as well as for Teaching and Evaluation. He was nominated for the 2020 Distinguished Faculty Award at Baylor College of Medicine, and for a national Teaching Award from Resident and Fellows Committee of the American Urological Association (AUA). Dr. Mayer has been an invited faculty member for several national educational courses including the AUA’s Annual Oral Board Examination Review Course and the AUA’s Mentored Laparoscopy Course. He served on the ACGME’s Urology Milestones 2.0 Working Group, which created competency-based developmental outcome goals used by all accredited urology residency programs in the United States. He has published innovations in surgical education and has been an invited panelist at numerous national conferences concerning a variety of topics in education.
- Santiago JE, Hollander AB, Soni SD, Link RE, Mayer WA "To dust or not to dust: A systematic review of ureteroscopic laser lithotripsy techniques." Curr Urol Rep. 2017 April ; 18 (4): 32.
- Mayer WA "Editorial Commentary in response to BMC Urology publication entitled: Infection-related hospitalization following ureteroscopic stone treatment: Results from a surgical collaborative." BMC Urology. 2020 September ; : Accepted for publication.
- Mucksavage P, Mayer WA, Mandel J, Van Arsdalen KV "High-frequency jet ventilation is beneficial during shock wave lithotripsy utilizing a newer unit with a narrower focal zone." Can Urol Assoc J. 2010 October ; 4 (5): 333-335.
- Mayer WA, Godoy G, Choi JM, Goh AC, Bian SX, Link RE "Higher RENAL nephrometry score is predictive of longer warm ischemia time and collecting system entry during laparoscopic and robotic-assisted partial nephrectomy." Urology. 2012 May ; 79 (5): 1052-1056.
- Zhang ZY, Tang Q, Li XS, Zhang Q, Mayer WA, Wu JY, Yang XD, Zhang XC, Wang XY, Zhou LQ "Clinical analysis of the PADUA and the RENAL scoring systems for renal neoplasms: A retrospective study of 245 patients undergoing laparoscopic partial nephrectomy." Int J Urol. 2014 January ; 21 (1): 40-44.
- von Rundstedt FC, Scovell JM, Bian SX, Lee D, Mayer WA, Link RE "Percent of tracer clearance at 40 minutes in MAG3 renal scans is more sensitive than T½ for symptomatic ureteropelvic junction obstruction." Urology. 2016 May ; 103 : 245-250.
- Popat S, Hubbard C, Mayer WA, Taylor JM "The education time out and debrief: Structured implementation of perioperative resident technical education discussions." JACS. 2020 August ; : Accepted for publication.
- Michael P, Tran VT, Hopkins M, Berger I, Ziemba J, Bansal UK, Balasubramanian A, Chen J, Mayer WA, Fang A, Rais-Bahrami S, James A, Harris A "Comparison of urological transfers to academic medical centers: A multi-institutional perspective." Urology. 2020 February ; 136 : 100-104.
- Balasubramanian A, Scovell J, Dowell, A, Mayer WA "Adrenocortical neoplasm of uncertain malignant potential with a myelolipomatous component." BMJ Case Rep. 2020 June 11; 13 (6): e234591.
- Mercado MA, Scovell JM, Hollander AB, Stamatakis L, Mathur S, Choi JM, Sanchez EJ, Mayer WA, Link RE "Sub-fascial continuous local anesthesia decreases postoperative narcotic requirements following laparoendoscopic single site donor nephrectomy but increases cost and does not decrease length of stay." J Anesth. 2015 :
- Islam AK, Knight RJ, Mayer WA, Hollander AB, Patel S, Teeter LD, Graviss EA, Saharia A, Podder H, Asham EH, Gaber AO "Intermediate-term outcomes of dual adult versus single-kidney transplantation: Evolution of surgical technique." J Transplant. 2016 July 10; : Epub.
- Srivatsav A, Balasubramanian A, Scovell JM, Mayer WA: "Robotic-assisted laparoscopic resection of a primary renal neuroendocrine carcinoma." BMJ Case Rep. 2019 December ; 12 (12): e232148.
- Stamatakis L, Cheng PJ, Ho PL, Thrall MJ, Mayer WA, Miles BJ, Link RE "A 60-year-old woman with an incidentally discovered right renal mass." Urology. 2012 December ; 80 (6): 1183-1186.
- Liao LM, Mayer WA, Kim M, Link RE "Robot-assisted laparoscopic excision of a pelvic extragatrointestinal stromal tumor (EGIST): A case report and literature review." Can J Urol.. 2011 June ; 18 (3): 5731-5734.
- Mayer WA, Resnick MJ, Canter D, Ramchandani P, Kutikov A, Harryhill JF, Carpiniello VL, Guzzo TJ "Synchronous metastatic renal cell carcinoma to the genitourinary tract: Two rare case reports and a review of the literature." Can J Urol.. 2009 June ; 3 (3): 205-210.
- American Urological Association
- Harris County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Houston Academy of Medicine
- Society of Academic Urologists
Log In to edit your profile