- Baylor Clinic 6620 Main Street Suite 1325 Houston, Texas 77030 United States SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT - (713) 798-5700
- VIICTR Publications List
- Dr. Mills Care Centers
- Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy Clinic
- Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy
- Video: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms
- Video: Workforce Needs in Vascular Surgery
- Follow Dr. Mills on Twitter
- DB Blog
- Diabetic Foot Blog on wound healing, amputation prevention, and the merger of consumer tech with medical devices.
- Momentum Blog: Diabetes, your feet, and you
- Diabetes, your feet, and you: Living with diabetes is more than insulin shots and watching your diet. It also includes caring for your feet.
- Dr. Joseph Mills Appointed SVS Member to AHA PAD Council
- Group led by Dr. Joseph Mills Approved for PCORI Award
- Dr. Joseph Mills to Deliver the RJ White Lectureship
- Dr. Joseph Mills Appointed to Reid Professorship
- Professor and Chief
- Division of Vascular Surgery & Endovascular Therapy
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Medical Director, Diabetic Foot and Wound Care Center
- Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center
- Fellowship at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
- Endovascular Surgery
- Fellowship at Oregon Health Sciences University
- Vascular Surgery
- Residency at Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center
- General Surgery
- Internship at Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center
- General Surgery
- MD from Georgetown University School of Medicine
- American Board of Surgery
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- Vascular Surgery
Honors & Awards
- Top Doctor in Vascular Surgery
- Best Doctors in America
- Edward James Olmos Award for Advocacy in Amputation Prevention
- Who’s Who in American Education, 7th Edition
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering
Joseph L. Mills, M.D. is a board certified vascular surgeon in Houston. Dr. Mills earned his medical degree at Georgetown University School of Medicine and completed his surgical internship and residency at Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas. He went on to train in Vascular Surgery at Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, and also completed a senior fellowship in Endovascular Surgery at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.
Among his great many honors, he has served as president of the Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society, president of the Western Vascular Society, president of the Association of Program Directors in Vascular Surgery, director of the American Board of Surgery (ABS), immediate past chair of the Vascular Surgery Board of the ABS, and is currently a member of the Surgery Residency Review Committee of the ACGME. He is co-editor of the prestigious "Rutherford's Vascular Surgery" (7th and 8th editions), the “go-to” textbook for vascular surgery.
Dr. Mills has authored nearly 300 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters, focused on his clinical and research interests in noninvasive diagnosis, vein graft stenosis, intimal hyperplasia and limb-salvage in patients with diabetes mellitus. He has been the principal investigator for over 40 clinical trials, including a number of current investigations.
- Chavez L, León LR, Mills JL.. "Aneurysmal degeneration of deep lower extremity vein conduits used for vascular reconstruction."
- Montero-Baker M, Branco BC, León LR, Labropoulos N, Echeverria A, Mills JL. "Management of Inferior Vena Cava Aneurysm. Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery."
- Rose JF, Giovinco N, Mills JL, Najafi B, Pappalardo J, Armstrong DG. "Split-thickness skin grafting the high-risk diabetic foot." J Vasc Surg.
- Mills JL, Conte MS, Armstrong DG, Pomposelli F, Schanzer A, Sidawy AN, Andros G.. "The Society for Vascular Surgery Lower Extremity Threatened Limb Classification System: Risk stratification based on Wound, Ischemia and foot Infection (WIfI)." J Vasc Surg.
- Miller JD, Zhubrak M, Giovinco NA, Mills JL, Armstrong DG. "The Too Few Toes Principle: A formula for limb sparing low-level amputation planning."
- Miller JD, Hua NT, Giovinco NA, Armstrong DG, Mills JL. "The SALSA Spike: A novel technique using Kirschner wires to anchor tenuous mid-foot and forefoot amputation flaps."
- Miller JD, Giovinco NA, Mills JL, Armstrong DG. "The Diabetic-Foot Online Clinic Utilization Score (DFOCUS): A calculator for Estimating Clinic Volume and Utilization."
- Skrepnek GH, Mills JL, Armstrong DG. "Foot-in-Wallet Disease: Tripped up by ‘cost saving’ reductions."
- Armstrong DG, Rankin TM, Giovinco NA, Mills JL, Matsuoka Y. "A Heads-Up Display for Diabetic Limb Salvage Surgery: A View Through the Google Looking Glass." J Diabetes Sci and Technol.
- Branco BC, DuBose JJ, Hughes JD, Goshima KR, Trinidad-Hernandez M, Rhee P, Mills JL. "Trends and Outcomes of Endovascular Therapy in the Management of Civilian Vascular Injuries." J Vasc Surg.
- American College of Surgeons
- Society for Vascular Surgery
- Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society
- American Medical Association
- American Surgical Association
- International Working Group on the Diabetic Foot
- Southwestern Surgical Congress
- European Society for Vascular Surgery
- Stroke Council of the American Heart Association
- Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery
- International Society for Applied Cardiovascular Biology
- Association of Program Directors in Vascular Surgery
- American Association for Vascular Surgery
- Association for Academic Surgery