- Texas Heart Institute: Heart and Lung Transplant Center (Clinic)
- 6770 Bertner Avenue Cooley 355N Houston, Texas 77030 United States (832) 355-3000
- Division of Cardiothoracic Transplantation and Circulatory Support
- Heart and Lung Transplant Center
- Expert in lung transplantation joins Baylor
- Department Well-Represented at ISHLT 37th Annual Meeting
- Dr. Loor Co-Authors Landmark Consensus Statement for PGD
- VIDEO: Lung Post-Transplant
- VIDEO: Lung Pre-Transplant
- VIDEO: Lung Transplant Waiting List
- Innovations improve donor organ availability for lung transplantation
- Valve Sparing Root Replacement
- Dr. Loor Awarded MacDonald and JLH Research Funding
- Dr. Gabriel Loor Patents Cardiac Surgical Trainer
- Lungs in a Box
- Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center is first in Texas to perform a breathing lung transplant
- Dr. Gabriel Loor Named Taskforce Chair for STS
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Transplant and Circulatory Support
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Co-Chief, Section of Adult Cardiac Surgery
- Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center
- Surgical Director, Lung Transplant Program
- Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center
- Residency at Cleveland Clinic
- Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Research Fellowship at University of Chicago Hospitals
- American Heart Association Research Fellowship
- Residency at University of Chicago Hospitals
- General Surgery
- Internship at University of Chicago Hospitals
- MD from Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine
- BS from University of Miami
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
Honors & Awards
- Top Doctors: Rising Stars Edition
- Champion of Care: M Health Clinical Excellence Award
- Heart and Lung Transplant
- Mechanical assist devices
- Coronary artery revascularization
- Adult congenital surgery
- Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair (TEVAR)
- Heart valve replacement/repair
- Aortic aneurysm repair
- Aortic dissection repair
- Adult cardiac surgery
- Ex-vivo lung perfusion (EVLP)
- Arrythmia surgery
- Percutaneous valve replacement (TAVR)
Dr. Gabriel Loor specializes in the clinical evaluation and surgical management of patients with advanced cardiothoracic disease including coronary artery, aortic and valvular heart disease. Dr. Loor has a special interest in advanced heart and lung failure and is the surgical director of the Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center Lung Transplantation Program.
Dr. Loor received his cardiac surgical and transplant training at Cleveland Clinic. He spent several years at the University of Minnesota as assistant professor in cardiac surgery and director of the lung transplant program. There he significantly increased the volume and quality of lung transplantation through donor utilization, reduction of patient wait list times and adoption of various innovations. In addition, he was responsible for several quality improvement initiatives including building the aortic and adult congenital surgery practice.
His research interests include improved donor utilization and maximizing recipient outcomes. He is the national principal investigator on several trials using ex vivo lung perfusion platforms to increase donor yield and quality. He is credited with the first “breathing lung transplantation” in the Midwest performed in 2014. His translational lab focuses on the use of this technology to improve the quality and quantity of potential lung transplants. Dr. Loor has published several key papers on prolonged preservation of donor organs with an emphasis on reducing ischemic injury and the inflammatory response. He has also published several articles on blood conservation, safety checklists and surgical outcomes after adult cardiac surgery.
- Loor G. "EVLP: Ready for Prime Time?." Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Pubmed PMID: 29935227
- Loor G, Schuster A, Cruz V, Rafael A, Stewart W, Diaz J, McCurry K.. "The Carpentier-Edwards perimount magna mitral valve bioprosthesis: intermediate-term efficacy and durability." J Cardiothorac Surg.
- Mattison L, Spratt J, Howard B, Augustine S, Musleh S, Loor G, Iaizzo P. "A Simplified Model for the Assessment of Ex Vivo Lung Perfusion Methodologies and Treatments." J. Med. Devices.
- Loor G, Radosevich MD, Kelly RF, Cich I, Grabowski TS, Lyon C, Morrow JM, Bender EM, Billings J, Hertz M. "The University of Minnesota Donor Lung Quality Index (UMN-DLQI): A Consensus-Based Scoring App Improves Donor Lung Utilization." Annals Thor Surg.
- Loor G, Doud A, Nguyen TC, Antonoff MB, Morancy JD, Robich MP, Odell D, Yarboro L, Vaporciyan AA, Roselli E. "Development and evaluation of a three-dimensional multistation cardiovascular simulator." Ann Thor Surg.
- Hutchins J, Apostolidou I, Shumway S, Kelly RF, Loor G. "Paravertebral catheter use for postoperative pain control in patients after lung transplant surgery: A prospective observational study." Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vasc Anesth.
- Loor G, Shumway SJ, McCurry K, Keshavamurthy S, Hussain S, Weide G, Spratt JR, Alsalihi M, Koch C. "Process improvement in thoracic organ donor retrieval: implementation of a donor assessment checklist." Ann Thor Surg.
- Spratt JR, Podgaetz E, Loor G, Shumway SJ. "Endobronchial Valve Therapy for Refractory Air Leak Following Lung Transplantation in a Patient with Multiple Connective Tissue Disorders." J Thor Cardiovasc Surg.
- Loor G, Howard B, Iles T, Mattison L, Meyer P, Day T, Panoskaltsis-Mortari, A, Iaizzo, P. "Is Prolonged EVLP Using OCS Lung: Cellular and Acellular Perfusates." Journal of Transplantation.
- Loor G, Brown R, Kelly RF, Rudser KD, Shumway SJ, Cich I, Holley CT, Quinlan C, Hertz MI. "Gender Differences in Long-term Survival Posttransplant: a Single-institution Analysis in the Lung Allocation Score (LAS) Era." Clinical Transplantation.
- Spratt J, Howard B, Iaizzo P, Mattison L, Iles T, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Loor G. "An Experimental Study of the Recovery of Injured Porcine Lungs with Prolonged Normothermic Cellular Ex Vivo Lung Perfusion Following Donation after Circulatory Death (DCD)." Journal of Transplantation International.
- American Association for Thoracic Surgery
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Surgeons
- American Heart Association
- Society for Critical Care Medicine
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- International Society of Endovascular Specialists
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Lillehei Surgical Society
- American Medical Association