- Assistant Professor
- Medicine-General Med/Ben Taub
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, TX, US
- PhD from University of Texas Health Science Center
- Environmental Health Science and Spatial Epidemiology
- MS from University of Iowa
- Environmental & Occupational Health
- MS from University of Iowa
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Graduate Certificate at University of Iowa
- Global Health Studies
- BSc from Obafemi Awolowo University
- Environmental Design and Management
With professional and research experience that cut across multiple fields (including environmental sciences, urban and regional planning, public health sciences, spatial information management and international health/development), my primary career focus is the use and application of environmental epidemiological processes, particularly space- and place-based processes, to examine, explain, and positively promote population health outcomes.
Biomedical geospatial analytics and spatial epidemiology focus on geographic variations and the environmental contexts of health-related states and behaviors. Researchers investigating the etiology, treatment and management of diseases (infectious and chronic) are increasing their use of spatial data due to the growing awareness of the important role of the environment in health-related behaviors and disease exposures. The availability of increasingly robust spatial datasets, improved technological capacity in geographic information systems (GIS), and growing sophistication in spatial analytics have led to more vigorous spatial models and expanded interest in geoinformatics and health. When used optimally, GIS is a powerful information management tool for data analysis and decision-making across health care domains and interests.
- Atteberry H, Dowdy D, Oluyomi A, Nichols D, Ory MG, Hoelscher DM.. "A contextual look at safe routes to school implementation in Texas.." Environ Behav. 2016 January;48(1):192-209.
- Salahuddin M, Nehme E, Ranjit N, Kim YJ, Oluyomi AO, Dowdy D, Lee C, Ory M, Hoelscher DM.. "Does Parents' Social Cohesion Influence their Perception of Neighborhood Safety and their Children’s Active Commuting To and From School?." 2016 December;13(12):1301-1309.
- Nehme EK, Oluyomi AO, Calise TV, Kohl HW. "Environmental Correlates of Recreational Walking in the Neighborhood." Am J Health Promot. 2016 January;30(3):139-148.
- Hoelscher DM, Butte NF, Vandewater EA, Sharma SV, Huang T, Finkelstein E, Pont S, Sacher P, Byrd-Williams C, Oluyomi AO, Durand C, Linlin L, Kelder SH.. "Incorporating primary and secondary prevention approaches to address childhood obesity prevention and treatment in a low-income, ethnically diverse population... the Texas Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration (TX CORD) study.." Child Obes. 2015 February;11(1):71-91. Pubmed PMID: 4696423
- Oluyomi AO, Lee C, Nehme E, Dowdy D, Ory MG, Hoelscher DM.. "Parental safety concerns and active school commute: correlates across multiple domains in the home-to-school journey.." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014 March;11(32) Pubmed PMID: 3975836
- Oluyomi AO, Whitehead LW, Burau KD, Symanski E, Kohl HW, Bondy M.. "Physical activity guideline among Mexican-Americans: Does the built environment play a role?." J Immigr Minor Health. 2014 April;16(2):244–255.
- Durand CP, Oluyomi AO, Pettee Gabriel K, Salvo D, Sener IN, Hoelscher DM, Knell G, Tang X, Porter AK, Robertson MC, Kohl HW.. "The Effect of Light Rail Transit on Physical Activity: Design and Methods of the Travel-Related Activity in Neighborhoods Study." Front Public Health. 2016 June;4(103) Pubmed PMID: 4899453
- Oluyomi AO, Byars A, Byrd-Williams C, Sharma SV, Durand C, Hoelscher DM, Butte NF, Kelder SH.. "The utility of geographical information systems (GIS) in systems-oriented obesity intervention projects: The selection of comparable study sites for a quasi-experimental intervention design—TX CORD.." Child Obes. 2015 February;11(1):58-70. Pubmed PMID: 4696445