Xinchun Pi, Ph.D.
Xinchun Pi, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
Medicine-Athero & Lipo
Cardiovascular Research Institute (CVRI)
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas United States
- Cardiovascular Research Institute (CVRI) (Office)
Houston, TX 77030
- BS from Wuhan University
- 05/1996 - Wuhan, China
- Cell and Developmental Biology
- MS from Wuhan University
- 05/1999 - Wuhan, China
- Biochemistry and Biophysics
- PhD from University of Rochester
- 05/2004 - Rochester, New York United States
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 05/2008 - Chapel Hill, North Carolina United States
- Cardiovascular Research
Professional StatementDr. Pi studies the molecular mechanisms underneath the regulation of endothelial cell functions during vascular development and a variety of pathological conditions such as inflammation, atherosclerosis, peripheral vascular disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity. Her particular focus is to understand the signaling pathways associated with endothelial function that are critical in order to develop treatments for these vascular-associated conditions. Particular attentions are directed toward LRP1 (low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 1) – and Bmper (Bmp-binding endothelial cell precursor-derived regulator)-dependent signaling pathways. Her work focuses on understanding how endothelial cells respond to ligand, initiate signaling cascades and cellular events such as proliferation, migration, differentiation, angiogenesis, inflammation and atherosclerosis, and change the metabolism to satisfy their needs at different active status.
Publications listed in PubMed
- Mao H, Lockyer P, Li L, Ballantyne CM, Patterson C, Xie L, Pi X. "Endothelial LRP1 regulates metabolic responses by acting as a co-activator of PPARγ.." Nature Communications. 2017;8:14960. Pubmed PMID: 28393867
- Mao H, Xie L, Pi X. "LDL receptor related protein-1 signaling in angiogenesis.." Front Cardiovasc Med. 2017;4:34.
- Mao H, Lockyer P, Townley-Tilson WH, Xie L, Pi X. "LRP1 regulates retinal angiogenesis by Inhibiting PARP-1 activity and endothelial cell proliferation." Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2016;36(2):350-60. Pubmed PMID: 26634655
- Xie L, Pi X, Townley-Tilson WH, Li N, Wehrens XH, Entman ML, Taffet GE, Mishra A, Peng J, Schisler JC, Meissner G, Patterson C. "PHD2/3-dependent hydroxylation tunes cardiac response to β-adrenergic stress via phospholamban.." J Clin Invest. 2015;125(7):2759-71.
- Xie L, Pi X, Wang Z, Willis MS, Patterson C. "Depletion of PHD3 protects hearts from injury induced by ischemia/reperfusion and inhibits cardiomyocyte apoptosis induced by oxidative stress.." J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2015:156-165.
- Townley-Tilson WHD, Pi X, Xie L. "The role of oxygen sensors, hydroxylases, and HIF in cardiac function and disease.." Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2015:676893.
- Dyer L, Lockyer P, Wu Y, Saha A, Cyr C, Moser M, Pi X, Patterson C. "BMPER Promotes Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in the Developing Cardiac Cushions.." PLoS One. 2015;10(9):e0139209.
- Cai Y, Nagel DJ, Zhou Q, Li F, Pi X, Knight PA, Yan C. "Role of cAMP-Phosphodiesterase 1C Signaling in Regulating Growth Factor Receptor Stability, Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Growth, Migration, and Neointimal Hyperplasia.." Circ Res. 2015;114:304408.
- Gomes AV, Rajasekaran NS, Pi X. "Redox Signaling and the Cardiovascular and Skeletal Muscle System.." Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2015:849095.
- Dyer La, Pi X, Patterson C. "The role of BMPs in endothelial cell function and dysfunction.." Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Sep;25(9):472-480. Pubmed PMID: 4149816
- Dyer La, Pi X, Patterson C. "Connecting the coronaries: How the coronary plexus develops and is funcitonalized.." Developmental Biology. 2014 Nov;395(1):111-119. Pubmed PMID: 25173872
- Pi X, Xie L, Portbury Al,Kumar S, Lockyer P, Li X, Patterson C "NADPH oxidase-generated reactive oxygen species are required for stromal cell-derived factor-1α-stimulated angiogenesis.." Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2014 Sep;34(9):2023-2032. Pubmed PMID: 4149803
- Pi X, Schmitt CE, Xie L, Portbury AL, Wu Y, Lockyer P, Dyer LA, Moser M, Bu G, Flynn EJ 3rd, Jin SW, Patterson C. "An LRP1-dependent endocytic mechanism governs the signaling output of the bmp system in endothelial cells and in angiogenesis.." Circ Res. 2012;111(5):564-74.
- Pi X, Lockyer P, Dyer L, Schisler J, Carey S, Sweet D, Chen Z, Tzima E, Willis M, Homeister J, Moser M, Patterson C "Bmper inhibits endothelial inflammation and protects against atherosclerosis.." Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32(9):2214-22.
- Xie L1, Pi X, Mishra A, Fong G, Peng J, Patterson C. "PHD3-dependent hydroxylation of HCLK2 promotes the DNA damage response." J Clin Invest. 2012 Aug;122(8):2827-2836. Pubmed PMID: 3408739
- Pi X, Wu Y, Ferguson JE 3rd, Portbury AL, Patterson C. "SDF-1alpha stimulates JNK3 activity via eNOS-dependent nitrosylation of MKP7 to enhance endothelial migration.." Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2009;106(14):5675-80.
- Pi X, Ren R, Kelley R, Zhang C, Moser M, Bohil A, DiVito M, Cheney RE, Patterson C. "Sequential roles for Myosin-X in BMP6-dependent filopodial extension, migration, and activation of BMP receptors.." J Cell Biol. 2007;179(7):1569-82.
- Pi X, Garin G, Xie L, Zheng Q, Wei H, Abe J, Yan C, Berk BC. "BMK1/ERK5 is a novel regulator of angiogenesis by destabilizing hypoxia inducible factor 1alpha.." Circ Res. 2005;96(11):1145-51.
- Pi X, Yan C, Berk BC. "Big mitogen-activated protein kinase (BMK1)/ERK5 protects endothelial cells from apoptosis.." Circ Res. 2004;94(3):362-369.
- 6) Pi X, Xie L, Patterson C. "Emerging Roles of Vascular Endothelium in Metabolic Homeostasis.." Circ Res. 2018;123(4):477-494. Pubmed PMID: 30355249
- Fan Q, Mao H, Xie L, Pi X. "Prolyl hydroxylase domain-2 protein regulates lipopolysaccharide-induced vascular inflammation.." American Journal of Pathology. 2018;89(1):200-213. Pubmed PMID: 30339838
- 4) Fan Q, Mao H, Angelini A, Coarfa C, Robertson MJ, Lagor WR, Wehrens XHT, Martin JF, Pi X, Xie L. "Depletion of endothelial prolyl hydroxylase domain protein 2 and 3 promotes cardiomyocyte proliferation and prevents ventricular failure induced by myocardial infarction.." Circulation. 2019;140(5):440-442. Pubmed PMID: 31356139
- 3) Mao H, Li L, Fan Q, Angelini A, Saha PK, Wu H, Ballantyne CM, Hartig SM, Xie L, Pi X. "Loss of bone morphogenetic protein-binding endothelial regulator causes insulin resistance.." Nature Communications. 2021;12(1):1927. Pubmed PMID: 33772019
- 2) Mao H, Li L, Fan Q, Angelini A, Saha PK, Coarfa C, Rajapakshe K, Perera D, Cheng J, Wu H, Ballantyne CM, Sun Z, Xie L, Pi X. "Endothelium-specific depletion of LRP1 improves glucose homeostasis through inducing osteocalcin.." Nature Communications. 2021;12(1):5296. Pubmed PMID: 34489478
- 1) Angelini A, Saha PK, Jain A, Jung SY, Mynatt RL, Pi X, Xie L. "PHDs/CPT1B/VDAC1 axis regulates long-chain fatty acid oxidation in cardiomyocytes.." Cell Reports. 2021;37(1):109767. Pubmed PMID: 34610308
- 8) Lockyer P, Mao H, Fan Q, Li L, LYu-Lee L, Eissa NT, Patterson C, Xie L, Pi X. "LRP1-dependent BMPER signaling regulates lipopolysaccharide-induced vascular inflammation.." Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37(8):1524-1535. Pubmed PMID: 28596374
- American Heart Association
- Member (01/2001)
- North American Vascular Biology Organization
- Member (01/2001)
- American Diabetes Association
Log In to edit your profile