Mary R. Newsome, Ph.D.
Mary R. Newsome, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor
H. Ben Taub Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Research Health Scientist
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
- Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory (Office)
Neurosensory Building BCM637
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 791-1414
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship at Baylor College Of Medicine
- 01/2003 - Houston, Texas United States
- Cognitive Neuroscience
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship at Rice University
- 10/2001 - Houston, Texas United States
- Cognitive Neuropsycholgy
- PhD from Princeton University
- 10/1999 - Princeton, New Jersey United States
- Cognitive Psychology
- AB from Kent State University
- 08/1991 - Kent, Ohio United States
- Psychology, English
Professional StatementI research effects of traumatic brain injury (TBI) on brain activation during cognitive tasks and on functional connectivity to understand the nature of neuroplasticity. My research interests include resilience of brain structures and function. My grants investigate the neural mechanisms involved in TBI and PTSD before and after novel treatments in veterans exposed to blast.
The Computational and Integrative Biomedical Research Center is a resource to help students and faculty address the broad range of analytical problems posed by the complexity of high throughput biological datasets. The goal of the center is to help bridge the translational gap from data to models, and from models to drug discovery and personalized therapy by fostering collaborations and developing original quantitative approaches to biological and clinical problems.
- Newsome MR, Durgerian S, Mourany L, Scheibel RS, Lowe MJ, Beall EB, Koenig KA, Parsons M, Troyanskaya M, Reece C, Wilde EA, Fischer BL, Jones SE, Agarwal R, Levin HS, & Rao SM "Disruption of caudate working memory activation in chronic blast-related traumatic brain injury." NeuroImage: Clinical. 2015;8:543-53. Pubmed PMID: 26110112
- Avci, G., Hanten, G., Schmidt, A. T., Li, X., Orsten, K., Post, M., Faber, J. F., & Newsome, M. R "Cognitive contributors to resilience in youth from underserved populations: a brief report." Journal of Public Mental Health. 2013 Sep 16;12(3):165 - 170.
- Newsome MR, Scheibel RS, Mayer AR, Chu ZD, Wilde EA, Hanten G, Steinberg JL, Lin X, Li X, Merkley TL, Hunter JV, Vasquez AC, Cook L, Lu H, Vinton K, Levin HS. "How functional connectivity between emotion regulation structures can be disrupted: preliminary evidence from adolescents with moderate to severe traumatic brain injury.." J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2013;19(8):911-24. Pubmed PMID: 23981357
- Schmidt, A. T., Avci, G., Hanten, G. R., Li, X., Orsten, K. D., & Newsome, M. R "Relating resilience factors and decision-making skills in two groups of underserved adolescents: implications for intervention." Journal of Juvenile Justice. 2013;2(2):63-72.
- Newsome MR, Scheibel RS, Chu Z, Hunter JV, Li X, Wilde EA, Lu H, Wang ZJ, Lin X, Steinberg JL, Vasquez AC, Cook L, Levin HS "The relationship of resting cerebral blood flow and brain activation during a social cognition task in adolescents with chronic moderate to severe traumatic brain injury: a preliminary investigation.." Int. J. Dev. Neurosci.. 2012 May;30(3):255-66. Pubmed PMID: 22120754
- Newsome MR, Scheibel RS, Hanten G, Chu Z, Steinberg JL, Hunter JV, Lu H, Vasquez AC, Li X, Lin X, Cook L, Levin HS "Brain activation while thinking about the self from another person's perspective after traumatic brain injury in adolescents.." Neuropsychology. 2010 Mar;24(2):139-47. Pubmed PMID: 20230107
- Newsome MR, Steinberg JL, Scheibel RS, Troyanskaya M, Chu Z, Hanten G, Lu H, Lane S, Lin X, Hunter JV, Vasquez C, Zientz J, Li X, Wilde EA, Levin HS "Effects of traumatic brain injury on working memory-related brain activation in adolescents.." Neuropsychology. 2008 Jul;22(4):419-25. Pubmed PMID: 18590353
- Newsome MR, Scheibel RS, Hunter JV, Wang ZJ, Chu Z, Li X, Levin HS "Brain activation during working memory after traumatic brain injury in children.." Neurocase. 2007 Feb;13(1):16-24. Pubmed PMID: 17454685
- Wilde EA, Newsome MR, Bigler ED, Pertab J, Merkley TL, Hanten G, Scheibel RS, Li X, Chu Z, Yallampalli R, Hunter JV, Levin HS "Brain imaging correlates of verbal working memory in children following traumatic brain injury.." Int J Psychophysiol. 2011 Oct;82(1):86-96. Pubmed PMID: 21565227
- Dennis, E. L., Wilde, E. A., Newsome, M. R., Scheibel, R. S., Troyanskaya, M., Velez, C., Wade, B., Drennon, A. M., York, G. E., Bigler, E. D., Abildskov, T. J., Taylor, B. A., Jaramillo, C. A., Eapen, B., Belanger, H., Gupta, V., … Tate, D. F. "ENIGMA MILITARY BRAIN INJURY: A COORDINATED META-ANALYSIS OF DIFFUSION MRI FROM MULTIPLE COHORTS." Proceedings. IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging. 2018;1386–1389. Pubmed PMID: 30034577
- Dennis, E. L., Caeyenberghs, K., Asarnow, R. F., Babikian, T., Bartnik-Olson, B., Bigler, E. D., Figaji, A., Giza, C. C., Goodrich-Hunsaker, N. J., Hodges, C. B., Hoskinson, K. R., Königs, M., Levin, H. S., Lindsey, H. M., Livny, A., Max, … Wilde, E. A. "Challenges and opportunities for neuroimaging in young patients with traumatic brain injury: a coordinated effort towards advancing discovery from the ENIGMA pediatric moderate/severe TBI group." Brain imaging and behavior.;15(2) Pubmed PMID: 32734437
- Newsome MR, Li X, Lin X, Wilde EA, Ott S, Biekman B, Hunter JV, Dash PK, Taylor BA and Levin HS "Functional Connectivity Is Altered in Concussed Adolescent Athletes Despite Medical Clearance to Return to Play: A Preliminary Report." Front. Neurol.. 2016;7(116) Pubmed PMID: 27504104
- Philippi, C. L., Velez, C. S., Wade, B., Drennon, A. M., Cooper, D. B., Kennedy, J. E., Bowles, A. O., Lewis, J. D., Reid, M. W., York, G. E., Newsome, M. R., Wilde, E. A., & Tate, D. F. "Distinct patterns of resting-state connectivity in U.S. service members with mild traumatic brain injury versus posttraumatic stress disorder." Brain imaging and behavior. 2021 Mar 23; Pubmed PMID: 33759113
Log In to edit your profile