Fellows rotate through a variety of clinical settings including public hospitals Ben Taub Hospital, Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and private hospital CHI Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center.
Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center
Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit (CVICU)
- Main focus is care of the cardiovascular post-operative patient, particularly those who have undergone coronary artery bypass graft surgery and valve replacements
Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU 1)
- Traditional ICU model
- Mix of medical and surgical patients
- Heavy case mix index of which many are listed for liver and lung transplant
- Total 18 beds
- Fellow acts as a sub-consultant leading a team of residents, interns, and nurse practitioner
Mobile ICU/Rapid Response Team/Procedure Team
- Team: Attending, Fellows (2), Resident, 2 NPs and 2 highly trained ICU RRT nurses
- Small census of 4-6 patients
- Perform routine ICU procedures
- Mobile ICU consults and rapid initial stabilization of critically ill patients
Coronary Care Unit (CCU) / MICU 3 / ECHO
- Medical and CCU patients for 1st half of the day
- Second half is in the ECHO lab under the supervision of the ECHO consultant and sonographer
- Learning US image acquisition in the ECHO and PVD lab
- Interpretation of ECHO
LVAD and Transplant ICU
- Gain experience caring for patients that have left ventricular assist devices (LVAD).
- Familiarize with how the devices work and complications that may arise.
- Fellows will also care for patients that are immediately post heart, lung or heart-lung transplant. They will become familiar with early post-operative care of thoracic transplant recipients.
- Gain significant experience caring for patients on ECMO.
Harris Health System - Ben Taub Hospital
Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU)
- MICU is a 16-bed closed ICU
- Two fellows rotate through the ICU each month in a staggered shift model
Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Fellows will learn about common neurosurgical injuries, such as intracranial hemorrhages, masses and infections
- Fellows will gain experience with ICP monitoring and ventilator management of the neurosurgical patient
- Procedures include bronchoscopy, CVV placement, A-line placement, PA catheterization, Right heart catheterization, chest tube insertion, and endotracheal intubations
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
- Fellows gain extensive hands on experience in advance airway management